I Forge Iron

Free Anvil.. Score?

Just got a text from my wife saying her dad found her grandpas old anvil stored away and he had asked if I wanted it. Her grandpa just passed a couple years ago and I think it would be awesome to keep using his anvil. Looks pretty worn or maybe it’s just the rust. Hopefully I can sand it all down and get it looking good again. I don’t know much about anvils so I can’t tell anything about it from the picture. I’ll upload some when I get it Sunday. Looks like I might have some anvil restoration reading in my near future. 

52F82E29-CB63-4A48-A23B-F0CCC7404549.jpeg

Please don't sand or grind on it you can never replace the years worth of work you remove with the steel. Electrolysis would go a long way to changing the rust back to good steel. You can read up about it here if you're interested. Wire brushing the body and oiling or waxing to prevent further rust is good. Beating hot steel on the face will shine it up nicely without taking years off it's life.

It's a wonderful thing to come into possession of a family heirloom and that fine old lady will be working when you hand it down to your grand kids.

Frosty The Lucky.

There are several threads about Fisher anvils here. They are great anvils and are quiet compared to some. Like others have said just wire wheeling and a coat of BLO is all she needs with the exception of hammering hot steel on her hardened face to shine it right up. If you do any reading about them, I'm sure you will see we recommend not doing any grinding, milling or welding on the face which does more harm than good. Having a family heirloom is a bonus and a great score.

Thanks for all of the info guys! Seriously much appreciated. I’ll do some reading on the site about Fisher anvils. I’ll also go pick up a wire wheel on Sunday and get some pictures uploaded when I’m finished. Can’t beat any hot steel on it for a bit. In the process of making a new forge. Waiting on some materials to come in.
Can’t wait to start hammering on it! I’m so glad this was gifted through the family. It really makes it that much better and makes me feel good knowing I can hand it down to my kids and grandkids. So cool!! 

My father in law just brought it over earlier tonight! Man am I excited! 

I started taking a wire wheel to it but started losing sunlight. I figured I’d go ahead and post what progress I’ve made and what markings I’ve found. 

I still can’t make out any numbers on the feet that tell me how much it weighs. I have my wife’s scale charging right now so I’m going to weigh it shortly. 

Steel ball bearing bounces very nicely. It’s verryy close to bouncing all the way back to my hand! The face seems to be in really good shape from what I can tell. This is the only anvil I’ve ever seen in person though.

I plan on taking the wire wheel to it again tomorrow and then rubbing it down with some boiled linseed oil as recommended. I appreciate the tips from everyone! 

Side note, don’t worry! I won’t be using it on that 4x4 stand.

4098047F-C02F-4E25-81AE-C9687F28598C.jpeg

BBEFC0F8-FDA3-4436-B048-EB4089FE2B00.jpeg

A89362D5-7622-4BB1-816D-D2F8C21D2B73.jpeg

F823B0D0-8EDC-4416-B5C4-2A325C4EACCB.jpeg

41D6F920-55F0-4000-AF85-88BE1E1624CD.jpeg

74B205C9-8438-498B-911B-B1EE792559B6.jpeg

Update: Weighs 100lbs

Your anvil was made in Trenton, NJ in 1879.  The dating on the bottom is the first year they dated their anvils.  The date was on the bases for only 1879 and 1880.  In 1881 the date moved to the slope under the hardy hole.  Weights were not put on their anvil for another 10 years.  If you want to learn the complete history of Fisher & Norris, please consider my book that is available.

I just finished layering and rigidizing the ceramic fiber for my new forge. Can’t wait to hammer on this thing. 

I couldn’t flatten/shorten the stump I found. It was eating up the chainsaw blade I was borrowing so I decided to glue and bolt a bunch of 2x10s together, sanded down the top and set the anvil down with a layer of caulk. This thing is quiet!! 

9F4CEB42-2C29-4D39-8E64-DCB553D0DB54.jpeg

3058CE96-39FA-4B16-B4C7-85F314052A77.jpeg

She's a beautiful anvil, SWEET SCORE! Fisher anvils are known for being quiet, they don't ring, so the chain is completely unnecessary. Chain is wrapped around an anvil's waist like you have to deaden the ring. 

Remember she's a tool, nit a shrine of some sort, use her to good effect.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks Frosty! I’m really thankful that I was able to get it. 

Looks like it’s losing the chain when I go back out! I wrapped it to hopefully make it quieter, but if it doesn’t ring even without the chain then I’ll get rid of it.