I Forge Iron

Prototype Hoof Pick

gmbobnick

After making several versions of a simple old hoof pick for promotional purposes, I think I finally have something pretty close.  I wanted something that represents the aesthetics of furniture I make.  So, it should have a rustic-western look, feature some wood (handle of course), have a little forged hardware (pommel), black metal finish, and can be made in about an hour or less.  I think this is close.  I need to work on improving efficiency of making the pommel a bit as this is the most time consuming part.   

IMG_1661[1].JPG

How is the pommel attached? screwed? riveted?

An open shepherd's hook sort of pommel might be more functional, allowing the hoof pick to be hung on a nail, while still being obviously hand forged.

Also, you might think of some sort of western wood for the handle like mountain mahogany.  If you can find large enough sage brush it has surprisingly pretty wood.  Rocky Mountain cedar (not Utah cedar) is also a nice wood.  If it is from a tree with close grain/rings it is quite hard.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

2 hours ago, George N. M. said:

How is the pommel attached? screwed? riveted?

Its threaded onto the 5/16" tang.  Next time I will drill and tap after it is completely formed...its a pain otherwise.

I had the notion that the little scroll would butt up against the end of the tang and make some tension to help hold it in place.  I suppose a dab of CA glue works...just not very traditional.