I Forge Iron

40 seconds of distraction

templehound

I love your work, and this video is no different.  Looking forward to more.

You scared me a bit with your cutting tests at around 20 seconds.  I filleted my little finger from the tip to the bottom knuckle a few years ago because I lost track of where my hand was when slashing with a knife.  If you ever go to cutting competitions you'll often see spectators shouting to remind contestants to put their off hand in a back pocket.  Take this FWIW.  I'm not a safety guru or anything :)

I had a friend who lost his little & ring fingers on his left hand while cutting brush with another friend. They were in the Everglades with machetes cutting a path through some saw palmetto. Just as he grabbed a frond his friend was swinging the machete at the same frond. Any time edged weapons are involved hyper-vigilance is the order of the day.

They were working too close to each other.  

Rule with chainsaws is reach out your arm, have the other fellow reach out his arm, and have 16-18 inches between your fingers.  That is as close as you can get to each other.  You do not want to turn and cut an arm off or cut someone in half with a chain saw.  It is not a cut, but each tooth on the saw blade rips skin, meat, and bone as it passes through at warp speed.  It WILL leave a mark.

That's too close Glenn. The only time I've been cut by a chain saw is when another guy on the crew dropped a tree on my while I was cutting a downed one. Small trees but still, he was a good 50' away. It was my bad, I knew how reckless he was and still got that close. He yelled at me for not staying away from him and I have to admit it WAS my fault.

Sooooo, I dropped tag alders on him for two days without him being able to figure out where they were coming from. I was wearing distress orange coveralls and he never saw me. I'd wait till he was cutting to start my saw, whack an alder and as it started to fall kill my saw and freeze. I could've reached out and touched him at one point but he always walked with his chain saw revved up, so I just stood there quietly.

All the situational awareness of a bull in a china shop. 

Two chainsaws should never be running in the same area. I stand well back and ut of the plane of rotation when anybody is swinging a machete or kukri at brush. And NO I refused to hold the chicken why someone whacked it's head off with a hatchet and I was 10 IIRC.

Frosty The Lucky.

5 hours ago, Frosty said:

And NO I refused to hold the chicken why someone whacked it's head off with a hatchet and I was 10 IIRC

thats why you should hold the axe and the chichen if you get cut 100% your fault (or the chickens)

M.J.Lampert

Thomas and IrondragonFCW, Thanks for the kind words!

George N.M.: thats North American Native indeed.The backing track is music from my band from younger times.We mixed it together with some Native chanting which

came from an old casette tape.As far as I can remember it is a Navajo marriage chant....they always sing in major, it will walways sound good to major rock music.

rhitee93: ...there You said something:D my left arm swung away from the cutting goods, same direction as the swing.If my left arm would swing towards the blade or the cut, then I would be worried too.Left hand and blade are almost a wingspan apart, no way I could hurt myself.

there are more cutting tests as You will see in the upcoming film, most of the time my left arm is folded to my chest.Like in boxing when you throw a right punch your left

hand should take instinctively high guard.head protected, limb out of the way and very important, maintaining body balance.

I never agreed  putting one arm behind the back while chopping.IMHO it gives muscle tensions on the left side that negatively affects the body balance and thus also the accuracy of the blow...but, IMHO like I said, someone else may feel differently....rhitee93 Thanks for the good comment!:)....what does it mean?...Take this FWIW

Glenn, Frosty, M.J.Lampert:....no chainsaws and chickens will show up...Frosty: what does "10 IIRC" mean?

But I agree Gentlemen,...nothing more dangerous like a chainsaw...its like a cocked gun placed on a table...so do not slam on that table!:P

Cheers

"FWIW" = For What It's Worth.

Ah, a chainsaw is just a power tool. It's the operator that's dangerous, not the tool. I've never owned a fire arm you couldn't lay on a table, loaded, cocked, safety off and slam on the table till it collapsed without discharging. If I had I would've had it repaired or destroyed it. 

Of course there are plenty of people who can't handle a paper cup of cool water safely. 

Frosty The Lucky.