I Forge Iron

Anvil Identification

Welcome aboard... As far as I know D L C anvils are/were made in Germany and are good anvils. As far as value that will depend upon how much it weighs and where in the world it is located. Most anvils are sold by the pound. If you do a google search like this d l c anvil site:www.iforgeiron.com there are a few threads about/mention of them.

• 1 month later...

anyone know the vintage or the likely manufacturer of this given these images??  i was told this was around 100 lbs...but not sure what it is, or how to fix it up.  

E4415D09-2A1F-44B6-B923-BB35DA28D744.thumb.jpeg.46b20855e178241b4f038bba4658f9bf.jpeg\

F57F0914-D3A9-4191-BF80-7268D5B0BD3F.thumb.jpeg.47bd789352a236a0c390177fadf35338.jpeg

Edited by Mod30
Resize photos

Check on the front of the foot under the horn for numbers, presence and location can help identify.  Check on the bottom of the anvil for an indentation: presence and shape can help identify. With the fat waist and CWT weight stamping (the 04 for the rightmost number indicates CWT) It looks to be an English anvil and so without clear stampings it may not be identifiable as there were over 200 English anvil makers and people often learned in one makers shop before going off and setting up their own where they made anvils quite similar to what they learned on!

If the face is good *NOTHING* needs to be done to use it for smithing  save wire brushing the face clean and mounting it! NOTHING!

I have a Powell that is missing the heel and is an excellent anvil for smithing, face that is left is flat and hard and a 120# anvil cost me US$40 to buy in "damaged" condition.  A good postvise can be used to hold hardy tooling

I have a "wall of shame" where I display anvils that have been abused when I can pick them up cheap. (Not many lately as even trashed anvils are priced higher than what I think a good anvil should go for.)  I think my "worst" is a tie behind a Ridgeback Vulcan with paper thin face delaminating in places and the horn broken off and the base of a Peter Wright.  You can still read the weight stamping so it once was a full london pattern anvil; but after it broke at the waist it was still used as an anvil and the soft wrought iron is beautifully smoothed and mushroomed.  (Postman identified it as "most likely a PW due to the foot ledges and cwt weight stamping.)

When you get it in hand, take a wire wheel and clean off the decades of rust & stuff off. There may be a logo or name on it. A coating of BLO will protect it. Then pictures of both sides, the face, front foot and underside of the base. Many times we have been able to see enough remnants of markings to ID it.

Looks like the rest of it is in pretty good shape. My guess for the maker would be Wilkinson, since it has very similar proportions to mine, and there seem to be a lot of them with broken heels. It could easily be any other English maker though.

As others have said, you don't need to do anything to it before using it. However, it is possible (although not necessarily worth it) to replace the heel if eventually you decide to. Here's the Wilkinson that I repaired a few months ago:

On 6/10/2021 at 11:52 AM, Irondragon ForgeClay Works said:

When you get it in hand, take a wire wheel and clean off the decades of rust & stuff off. There may be a logo or name on it. A coating of BLO will protect it. Then pictures of both sides, the face, front foot and underside of the base. Many times we have been able to see enough remnants of markings to ID it.

What is BLO?

Boiled Linseed Oil.

Did you do a web search before asking? If you use your preferred search engine, and include iforgeiron.com in the terms your engine, Google or whatever will search Iforgeiron first. You might have to do a little reading to find out if the hit answers your questions but you'll be a hero. Don't bother with the search engine the forum operating system supplies it's pretty worthless.

Frosty The Lucky.