I Forge Iron

Finally caved

Me being me, I was dead set on teaching myself how to smith. However, after only a little over month, I have already decided that while this is a trade I could PROBABLY teach myself over time, it would be a fairly grueling process. It was most apparent when I was trying my first heat treat over the weekend and noticed I had a really hard time telling how hot the metal was based on its color (I don't currently have any means of verifying temp). Rather than continuing to be stubborn, I decided I should take a class or two. I am not sure who was shocked more, me or my wife.

I know at least one person here had mentioned Adlai Stein and that he was a cool/nice person. Well I decided to sign up for one of his classes tonight for an intro to blacksmithing.

Does anyone want me to say hi? :lol: Seems like everyone knows everyone else who has been in this craft for a long time.

ThomasPowers knows Adlai from back in the day, and I think may have been one of his first teachers. I've almost met him in person (saw him at Quad-State, but didn't get a chance to introduce myself), but we've interacted on Facebook. I hear nothing but good things about him as a teacher.

Tell Adlai I said "Hi" and that you should hide his anvil in the slack tub!  (Perhaps he'll share the story of trading in a "farm ASO" for a Peddinghaus.)

Smiths have been using Colour, softness under the hammer and sound for over 3000 years to judge temperatures; *but* what they did was to learn from their teacher/Master and pass on what temp was good for what materials and processes.  Taking a course should stand in for that!

First time Adlai came by my forge he was with Jim Green, (fellow who coined the phrase "Blacksmithing is easy; you hold the cold end and hit the hot end.---Get it right next time!")  Anyway; they were discussing that I seemed shy and that they had better tone down their language and banter---that lasted a minute or two and then one of them  handed me a straight line and that was that!

That was a very fun experience. Adlai was a very nice person and even though it was only a roughly 3 hour class, I feel like I learned a ton from him.

He also pointed out the ~70lb anvil you liked to repeatedly hide lol.

Did he tell you why?   Back in the 1990's when he started; I loaned him my "loaner anvil"; a 91 pound Arm and Hammer. He was living just north of OSU in a not so great neighborhood and working in back of his rental.  I castigated him several times about leaving my anvil outside when he was done.  He found a couple of old ASO's "farm anvils" and so next time I was over there when he wasn't and saw my anvil outside; I just loaded it up and took it home.   Not too much longer and all his smithing stuff was stolen; but it turns out he had renters insurance that specified *REPLACEMENT* and his agent staring at the list of stuff said "ANVILS where in the heck will I find anvils for sale!"   So Adlai gave him a copy of the Centaur Forge Catalog....and his ASOs were replaced with Peddinghaus anvils.  To add insult to injury; I got to attest that yes he had owned the missing equipment and yes it had been stolen.

At least that's the way I remember it; and so I used to hide his peddinghaus anvil when he wasn't looking...

He did not mention that part! If he lived north of OSU, I wouldn't leave anything out that wasn't welded, tied, chained and finally magically held down. Just before I left I told him I would tell you what a horrible, bad teacher he was and how he was very mean. He got a chuckle out of that.

But like I said, he was an extremely nice guy and was very...instructive? Is that the right word? Just made a hook but I learned a lot from it. Hopefully I can take another one of his classes in the future, or at least attend one of his open shop events. He was very pleasant to talk to and I would love to learn more from him. I want to try making another hook at home tonight on my own and see if what he showed me actually got through my thick skull.

There are two types of classes IMNSHO; those that coach you to produce an item and those that are geared to teach you the process so you can make items in the future.  Yes there's a lot to dump on a student trying to learn the process: materials, temps, hammer and anvil dressing, hammer control, anvil heights, forge types, forge environments (reducing, neutral, oxidizing), safety, etc and so on.  It helps to go back for reinforcement every now and then.  I tell my students when they complete their first item: "You are now a smith; it can take you the rest of your life to become a great one!"

I would most certainly say his method was the later one. He forged his own along side me and the one other person in the class while we both made our own. He would show us a step then have us repeat it. Would give a hand if required, but made us do it on our own. I personally like that method. I learn a lot from watching others do it, then doing it myself.

I am pretty confident I could make another one in the exact same manner. Wont know until I try though!

That is so true Frosty. I graduated high school nearly 15 years ago (I know, I am still very young comparatively lol). I used to play Trombone in band. I had not touched that instrument in probably a decade but the neighbor kid is learning it so I dug it out and helped him out. I still apparently have the muscle memory for several of the common songs we did, like the fight song. Surprised me!