I Forge Iron

Are there any modifications I can make to my Ryobi Sander/Grinder to help with knifemaking?

Just as the title suggests. I have a small 370W Ryobi bench sander and grinder, and I'm wondering if there are any modifications I can make to it to help with knife making?

Ryobi 370W Bench Grinder / Sander
link removed 
Something to help remove more stock, or to prolong belt life, increase torque, reduce heat from the motor, pretty much anything that will improve the machine. 

Thanks in advance

-Novak

In a word no. Trying to modify one tool to do the job of another tool never ends well. Believe me been there done that. I would suggest using it for handle work on knives and build/buy a 2X72 belt grinder for the metal work. That will be cheaper with less frustration in the long run.

Fan, though grinder motors are best TEFC  Totally Enclosed Fan Cooled to prevent grit/dust getting into the windings.  You are right to be concerned about it running hot as cheap motors often have plastic parts that will degrade with heat and so have a very short lifespan.