I Forge Iron

Camp Tripod and Grill. I would like to see yours.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

Just finished up a camp fire tripod with trammel hook. C60EC340-F377-470C-B1DA-6AA0D431FEC7.jpeg.62347c25bd06c73a8ccb320e787bd549.jpeg

Legs made form 6’7” of 1/2” round A36. (7” marked for the loop), ring from 9” of the same material. Trammel hook from 1/4”x1” flat bar eye balled for length, with a hook from ~3/8” coil spring I had lying around. 

David

No, this one has a closed (but not welded) ring holding the three legs together. With 6’ legs, I figured it would be too tall to break down and use as a cross bar. You could beat the to uprights deep into the ground, but then you would have to get them back out…

I may make a few with 4” legs for that style. (Most of my stock is cut in 10’ lengths, so 6’ and 4’ would be pretty stock efficient.)

David

For Large Tripods that will support large pots I modify the feet:  About 10" in from the end I bend it out at an angle and flatten it for about 6". Then I point the last 4" and bend it down to bite into the dirt.  The flat section keeps it from sinking into the dirt when you have a 50# cauldron hanging on it and the spike keeps the legs from opening up any more when in use.  The flat section make a handy place to step on to drive the spike in too.  The exact angles to bend depend on how your setup is and easy enough to tweak to get a good working tripod.

I originally worked this out in a trade with an old country vet who used to make up a large pot of beans for group campouts.  He got the tripod, we got our cat neutered.  Everyone was happy----except the cat!

Legs made from 20mm square, punched through at the top and joined on a ring. Height adjustable hanger punched at various positions, with a through-pin.

The fire bowl was rescued from a fire-pit, however, I'd like to forge a bowl, to complete the job. The bowl sits on three hooks riveted through the legs. Shop bought grill, made from 6mm diameter stainless steel.

Any advice, or ideas for forging a 600mm diameter bowl?

resized.jpg

Work it hot in sections with a "deep dish" dishing hammer. If using coke or charcoal a bit of that in the concave side over the area you will work next will help it to heat up faster. If using propane: only heat as much as you can work in a go. Note the parabolic shape makes a great IR emitter, you may need a glove for the tong hand! 

22 minutes ago, Ferritic said:

The bowl sits on three hooks riveted through the legs.

I was just playing with ideas in my mind for just such a tripod with built-in fire bowl (ideally to have ready in time for next Quad-State). 

22 minutes ago, Ferritic said:

Height adjustable hanger punched at various positions, with a through-pin.

Very cool idea; thanks for the inspiration.

Ferritic that is brilliant. I always thought a fire tripod was a bit of a waste of time in the UK, so few camping places allow fires these days. 

Suspending the fire pot though is perfect. It's a shame my camping days are over otherwise I would make one similar (though probably won't be as nice)