I Forge Iron

Please help to identify this Anvil Weight 105kg

Hi everyone, good day...
Just bought this Anvil, weight about 105 kgs, L60cm, H30cm, face 12,5cm. Rebound Test with 2mm ball bearing; 80%. Seller don't know brand & made in which country. No Brand or marking at all on the body.
Please kindly help me to identify this anvil.
- Brand?
- Made in?
Thank you in advance. Hope enjoy our day.

1..jpeg

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Looks sort of like a Birmingham Pattern to me, the wide waist is common to earlier anvils made in the UK.  The overly large pritchel hole is a puzzle though.  The handling holes are a good sign and the ball bearing results are excellent.

There were over 200 know anvil makers in the UK and many of them learned their craft in another's shop and then went out on their own to make anvils that may look quite similar to the ones made in the shop they learned in; so if no stampings turn up you may never be able to pinpoint the original maker. Even if you find an identical one with good clear stampings it might not be from the same shop but from a "clone shop".

Luckily you don't have to know an anvil's maker; just that it's a good one to use!  (Anvils made by top firms can still have suffered a structure fire that ruins their temper; while unknown anvils may have a great face temper!)

It looks like a very good user to me, kinda looks like a Mouse Hole, but like Thomas said there were many foundries making anvils that sorta looked like Mouse Hole anvils. If you clean off all the paint, you may see some remnants of a makers mark.

BTW you might want to edit your response and remove the quote, no use in quoting the post just prior to your reply. The quote feature

NO need to apologize, typos happen to us all. Please do not to use @ name tags, they mess with the way the operating system works and moderators have to remove them and hunt down the errors they cause. 

Nice looking anvil and a 80% rebound tells me all I'd need to know to put it to work. My real interest is in the tool, it's history is just a side note, nice to  know but not important. That's just me though.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 4 weeks later...

Propane is indeed. The cool down time is a big factor, a propane forge will remain dangerously hot for a couple hours at least. By dangerous hot I mean it'll be hot enough to start fires for hours. If I close off the openings my forge is still red hot 2+ hours after I shut it off. If a leaf blows in it will catch fire another 3 or so hours later. 

My too large shop forge has a split heavy fire brick floor though and it's really hot. This is one reason I strongly recommend against using heavy fire brick anywhere in a propane forge. It'd just take a major rebuild to eliminate it from mine. I didn't know any better when I built it. 

Frosty The Lucky.