I Forge Iron

Champion Rivet Forge? Repair?

Hello all. I just picked this forge up for a song and can't find much info on it. It has a champion blower but no model number. From what little I've been able to find, it's a portable "rivet forge" being as the blower is attached without a stand and there's no counter weight on the crank. The pan is cast and has one nasty crack. My guess is it was ran without any refractory to keep the heat away from the casting. I have a brother who is a welder as a profession (and quite good at it, not just a mig monkey) who said he could pre heat the pan and fill the crack with nickel rod. Should I go this route or just "stitch" the crack with a couple mild steel straps riveted in place and cover with refractory? Also, does anyone have any sort of date for this setup or if the forge is even factory with said blower? The plan is to get this rebuild along with the old Mouse Hole anvil I had posted about as my first mostly permanent set-up at our new house. Im itching to get swinging a hammer again after about a year break....

Thanks, Keith20210412_202807.thumb.jpg.4da5d29bc451436e9fee8d248a6b8203.jpg20210413_211959.thumb.jpg.570e9b7441f3344e481eb8544eda919e.jpg20210413_212007.thumb.jpg.e874eb94c3ab8c242a6c0c866a3972cf.jpg

Good Morning,

Stitch it together so it doesn't fall in 2 pieces. Brazing might be easier than Ni-rod, If your brother can weld it, great. Or - Take a piece of scrap, mild steel flat plate, bolt it in place, over the cracked areas. You don't need refractory in the Forge tray, clay, clinker or ash works for the bottom of the Forge tray. Heat goes up, more than down.

I have a forge, the same as this one. One of many.

Neil