I Forge Iron

Trenton year

25 minutes ago, Dpitts55 said:

Located in upstate NY.

We won't remember that once leaving this post, hence the suggestion to edit your profile to show it. It looks like you have a very nice Trenton and I hope you have read about not doing any grinding, milling or welding on the hardened face, which will do more harm than good.

As far as value, I'm not sure about your location but around here that would go for around $3-$5 dollars a pound so about $350 to $650.

Thank you for the response.   I apologize for the location update   No bondo on the face -it’s a piece of newspaper.  I appreciate the info on the anvil.     A gentleman was gonna throw it away due to moving out of state.  

Small world. As far as prices in my area go, anvils in good-great condition don't seem to show up all too often. When they do they get picked up pretty quickly. I wouldn't think you would have much trouble getting between $4-6 per pound. $6/lb is pushing it by my standards, but I'm sure there are people who would pay that and maybe even a bit more given the condition. However, at that point you start getting up toward brand new cast steel anvil prices. 

If I were looking for another anvil and the ring/rebound test checked out I would probably try to talk you down to $3.50/lb. Maybe $3.25/lb... Blacksmiths like to haggle. ;)

I drove down to PA to pick up my 1920 151# Soderfors, the Paragon of anvils , for ~$3.60/lb. However, it was a 10 hour round trip and that factored into the price. 

Regardless, that's a nice specimen. Do you plan on putting her back to work? 

I’m not a blacksmith.    I like collecting old items and a gentleman was moving out of state -cleaning his house and was going to put it to the curb.  I knew it wasn’t curb material and he gave it to me.  I’m not familiar with anvils and was looking up the stamped numbers and came across this site.  

Well anvils aren't considered "old" to blacksmiths till they get past the 200 year mark; a lot of us are using anvils and tools older than 100 years.  I hope to be around to  celebrate my 1828 William Foster anvil's 200th anniversary and still lightly use a postvise that is probably pre 1800.

Geez I wish I had such a neighbor! I think you did okay on this one. Definitely not curb material... unless you want to leave it on my curb. In which case I take that back, It's certainly curb material! ;)

I agree, it's a good excuse to pick up a new hobby (if you're so inclined).