I Forge Iron

First attempts

SinDoc

Here are my first few goes at making something. The smaller one is just made out of junk metal I had laying around. I think it was welding rod from one of the box stores. The larger is my first try at "good" metal and is 1084 bar stock (1/8 thick 1.5" wide). Learned I was hitting it a bit too hard and at a bad angle due to those hammer marks. Still working on my general shaping ability.

20210407_192247.jpg

20210403_154405.jpg

20210407_183400.jpg

You don't get any better your not trying.   I like the shape on that top one.  Look at the weight banner you're using as well.   I started by using a 2 pound drilling hammer with a really short handle.   It gave me a bit better control,  though it still took me forever to get the hammer marks out.  What were you thinking of doing for the handle?

Haven't decided quite yet. The hammer marks were mostly me trying to move the metal on the edge to make it thinner. Quickly realized I was doing it wrong and stopped, hence the nasty hammer marks. Supposed to have my grinder hopefully next week. Until then, I haven't worried much about finishing. I just did some cleaning and what little grinding I could with my angle grinder.