I Forge Iron

once again a frosty t-burner problen

M.J.Lampert

so I am working on tuning my frosty t burner and it appears to be constantly burning rich i have 3/4 pipe so according to the plans I should be burning lean with a 1/2 inch gap instead of the .5D of 3 /8 but it doesn't even seem to change when it is 3/4 in. off the tubes start. if any one can give me a hand that would be great

this pic shows the nozzle all the way down tried a video but didn't upload proper

GOPR2035.thumb.JPG.13f9d23a11859b2f72d4b7b59572a908.JPG

No video? Good, the still shows everything I need to see. I'm making a note re. editing the directions, I wasn't clear about where the "throat" is. 1/2" is a better measurement, it's closer to tuned and makes it easier.  1/2" from the throat is the departure point, where you START trimming to tune. It WILL be rich when you start tuning, you can't make a mig contact tip longer, you can only shorten it. Yes? That means that without making a slip or screw connection for the jet the ONLY way to tune the flame is to shorten the mig tip. So you MUST start rich so you CAN make it more lean and adjust the fuel air ratio. Make sense?

Keep trimming 1/16" at a time and you ARE deburring the jet EVERY TIME aren't you? Use a torch tip file from the fitting side and don't get carried away or you'll enlarge the jet or make it out of round. ANY bur in the orifice messes up the propane jet so it can't induce enough combustion air. Trim the mig tip with sand paper, not a saw or tubing cutter, a saw really makes a nasty rough end and tubing cutters crimp mig tips closed. 

To keep terminology straight, the "NOZZLE" is the end of the burner where the flame comes out. The END of the mig contact tip is the "JET" which is too easy to confuse with the Jet" of propane shooting out of the Jet. Using Mig tip and Jet interchangeably is fine, it's hard not to.

Frosty The Lucky.

thank you both for the help

mike, looking at it i see that there is a angle between the mig tip and the burner tube

frosty, I have backed it off all the way to 3/4 of an inch and had same prob but i think now that the angle is causing that orange flame. if correct let me know, if not tell me no and what your theory is 

will post more pics later

thanks

ok so i got the bottom of the tip to under 1/32 of an inch off all the way around and got this flame

GOPR2044.thumb.JPG.3726f20786e94f37ef987357e7cfe6f5.JPG

then after running for like 30 sec it turns orange

GOPR2047.thumb.JPG.3766b38f4b7f06c4cd721d6610b70c54.JPG

and any backing off results as such

GOPR2049.thumb.JPG.190fa289866234491ed36fb31b7512cd.JPG

I've tried backing off more/ less to about 3/8s from stop but to no avail also tried changing psi from 5-10 still no change 

any further advice would be appreciated 

thanks 

M.J.Lampert

The orange is the calcites in the forge's refractory lining oxidizing, it has nothing to do with the burner except the burner is getting it hot. That color orange is perfectly normal, you can ignore it. ;)

Your burner flame is looking much better, maybe close enough to call it good. Have you closed up the forge ends some and given it a try? 

Frosty The Lucky.

I would call this flame good enough to work with, while you decide whether or not it is worth your time to build replacement burners; if you do, then remember to use a pipe nipple to judge how square the fitting is threaded in. A little extra time ;looking for the best fittings in the store can save a lot of grief during construction.

ok thanks will close up and try. probably turn the other burner to this style as currently it uses 15-20 psi and that means both burners cant run simutaniously 

frosty you ever go through prince george, BC area with a few spare hours I'd be hounoured to have you come by and tell me how crappy my setup is;):) (need it from more than me to convince my father i need to find a decent anvil not a cast aso )

will throw a 3/4 bolt in and post the results after i finish some more school work

M.J.Lampert

If you can't isolate them your burners need to match. Haven't I told you to ignore the gauge? If not my bad, ignore the gauge, cover it with tape a can anything, it's just confusing you. 

Tuning burners has ZERO to do with gauge pressure. 

Deb and I may pass through Prince George, we'll be doing some snow birding once the pandemic is under control and things open up. Maybe you and I'll take a drive to a scrap yard and I'll point at all the anvils that don't like a Hollywood prop. If we stop by I'm not going to call your setup crappy, if it isn't. Certainly not to defraud your Father!:angry: 

We can talk about ways to improve things those abound no matter where you go. Perhaps I'll show you how to forge things that you can sell and earn whatever anvil you are serious enough about to buy with your own money? If your Father sees you're actually serious about developing the craft he might be more inclined to offer up a little more than room and board. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2021 at 5:51 PM, Frosty said:

Deb and I may pass through Prince George, we'll be doing some snow birding once the pandemic is under control and things open up. Maybe you and I'll take a drive to a scrap yard and I'll point at all the anvils that don't like a Hollywood prop. If we stop by I'm not going to call your setup crappy, if it isn't. Certainly not to defraud your Father!:angry: 

sorry took so long to reply i said that wrong as i have no wishes to defraud my father he has great ideas, most of the time i was trying to improve my setup and as i cant use his rr anvil i figured i would weld hard face rod on top of anvil he said no to take a plate and weld clamps to it as shown in pic below i thought great then i started i relized it wouldn't work mentioned to him he said it would work so i pushed through then still loose so was told to heat them with a torch and hit in after finished got 2 heats on a piece of steel about 12 wacks and was already loose. next morn 30 min in and the plate broke off.

not saying he's bad just human we all have our mistakes some times

804629556_GOPR20961.thumb.JPG.92efab33da34b289f45a945c00abd65e.JPG

also what you mean snow birding, i know snowboarding

M.J.Lampert

ps heres the pic i said id share before that it looks brighter in pic than actual

1416486017_GOPR20631.thumb.JPG.7ccdb6d7a891795d9d913cc17f98686a.JPG

Good grief MAN, I was ribbing you about defrauding your Father. :rolleyes: 

Hey, my Father had ideas in his head that weren't so good or even workable and insisted I just didn't do it right when they failed miserably. One time he "showed" me how, he insisted it worked, just not THAT time. It's one of those childhood revelations when you discover your Parents are just human.

Snow Birding is spending your time where the weather is nice. Summer in Alaska where it's light 20hrs a day and indescribably beautiful. Then come fall, winterize the house and head south to spend winter where it's warm but unbearably HOT in summer.  I think snow bird is a snow country term, when the snow flies so do the snow birds. 

Good enough works for me if it works for you. If not let me know we'll see what more we can tweak out of it.

Frosty The Lucky.

6 hours ago, Frosty said:

I think snow bird is a snow country term

There's plenty of snowbirds in the Midwest.  They usually migrate to Florida for the winter until they just finally decide to stay there year round. 

Pnut

Haha thats why i wish to 'self identify' as a goose (-10to-30*C winter and -30to-40*C for 1-3 weeks) and if they let foxes through the border for "Essential reasons" (steaing the other sides chicken IMO)  A Fox Crossed The Canada-US Border For 'Essential Reasons' & The Photo Is Everything (canadiancontent.net) they should let a goose migrating to the lower states/mexico through. right???

also we have a military air demenstraition team called the snowbirds Snowbirds - Wikipedia they where at the Vanderhoof airshow in 2018 very simular to the yankee thunderbirds  United States Air Force Thunderbirds - Wikipedia

M.J.Lampert