I Forge Iron

My JABOD

It’s a temporary set up. So far I haven’t had an issue. The plan is to set it in sand or on a stump once I’m sure I like the height it is at. Once I have it on its permanent stand, I’ll chain or bolt it down. 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used a couple pieces of mitre cut wood and a wedge to hold the same anvil to the stump. It deadened the ring considerably too. I got the idea here. It was easier than the chain and bolt set up I was using because I have to take it off the stump when I'm done. If I get out I'll take a picture of it or if I can find the post on here I'll link to it. 

Pnut

Sitting on a spool like that almost makes tying it down moot. All it needs is to not fall on your foot. When you put a solid stand under your anvil you won't believe the difference. Your projects will go much faster and you won't be so tired at the end of a session.  

You can make a spring butcher for shouldering from square mild stock and it'll work fine for a while. If you use a spring tool you can put kiss block in it the same thickness as the shank you wish to make and it's a done deal.

Frosty The Lucky.

The tie downs are mostly just to keep it from dancing around on me. I’m going to make a base out of old cross arms soon. At 4x6”x8’, they are a good size and they have pre-drilled holes in both sides that conveniently all line up perfectly. They are also treated agains weather and bugs. I’m just waiting on enough DA bolts (5/8 all-thread) to show up in the scrap dumpster.