I Forge Iron

What is this steel and what could I use it for?

WRLD

Oooh, excellent anvil! How close do you live to one of the hundreds of old rail road towns along hwy 395? If it's actually 9 7/8" in diameter it could be a rail car axle and at the estimated age medium carbon steel. Modern rail axles are typically 4140. 

Stood on end I'm thinking it's an estimated 480lb+ anvil. Taking a slice off to use as suggested already would be good too. it's not hard to learn to use a large fuller / drawing die vertically though and there's an advantage to being able to see exactly what's happening between die and work.

You might want to consider what a nice power hammer it'd make. If there are RR shops close by you might be able to talk the into selling a rail car axle. I was looking into buying a couple when I was planning on building a power hammer. Then I found a working 50lb. Little Giant and shelved those plans. Can't buy RR scrap anymore, it's all sold under a single buyer contract. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.

Oh yeah! Imagine having another section say belt high length. Long one for the anvil, this one for the hammer on suitable guides. A mechanical treadle would make a slow but hard hitting hammer but an air brake can and brake pedal from a semi could turn them into a precise single hit hammer. WITH bolt on dies. I have a number of concept drawings of such on one of my dead computers. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.

No RR axles in your friendly neighborhood scrap yard? How about I mail you some current bush seeds?

I may build a treadle hammer one of these days but I've sort of stopped thinking about one when in the shop.

Frosty The Lucky.

8 hours ago, Frosty said:

Oooh, excellent anvil! How close do you live to one of the hundreds of old rail road towns along hwy 395? If it's actually 9 7/8" in diameter it could be a rail car axle and at the estimated age medium carbon steel. Modern rail axles are typically 4140. 

I live within a couple hours of them, my grandfather worked closer to the area back in the day though so that sounds about right. Come to think of it, I have a couple railroad anvils that I believe he made as well.

I'll take an accurate measurement to see.

Stood on end I'm thinking it's an estimated 480lb+ anvil. Taking a slice off to use as suggested already would be good too. it's not hard to learn to use a large fuller / drawing die vertically though and there's an advantage to being able to see exactly what's happening between die and work.

I'm thinking I'm going to bring it into the shop to use as an anvil for now, I've never checked to see if it's cut sqaure. 

You might want to consider what a nice power hammer it'd make. If there are RR shops close by you might be able to talk the into selling a rail car axle. I was looking into buying a couple when I was planning on building a power hammer. Then I found a working 50lb. Little Giant and shelved those plans. Can't buy RR scrap anymore, it's all sold under a single buyer contract. <sigh>

I hadn't thought about that! That may be a thought in the future though.  I've had fun falling Into this hobby so far