I Forge Iron

Sisco Superior 170 lb.

Picked this up from a gentleman in Louisiana.  I need to speak to him again to verify my information, but I believe he said it came out of the Jefferson Building blacksmith shop in New Orleans, where they worked on the buggies for the city I'm guessing?  It's a 170 lb. Sisco Superior anvil, made in Sweden.  I understand they had a warehouse headquartered in New Orleans.  It almost looked as if the face and horn were still covered in factory paint.  Water had infiltrated behind parts of the flaking paint and caused light pitting.  Whether or not the anvil was ever used, there is some chipping from either getting bumped and moved over the years, or else someone painted over the entire anvil.  If it was painted after some use, it was still painted a long time ago as I could tell the paint was really old.  Anyway, just wanted to share.  I paid $1400 as a combo deal for the anvil and a 100lb 6" leg vise (maybe Columbian?).  It may or may not be a bargain depending on who you ask, but I was willing to pay the money.  Still curious to know what everyone thinks or if anyone has any info to add about the pieces.

IMG_3176.JPG

IMG_3180.JPG

IMG_3173.JPG

IMG_3175.JPG

IMG_3170.JPG

IMG_3194.JPG

IMG_3199.JPG

IMG_3207.JPG

IMG_3208.JPG

IMG_3209.JPG

IMG_3184.JPG

Straight legs and "belled" screwbox might be Indian Chief as well, (or a Columbian, screws and screwboxes were sold as replacement parts by Sears Roebuck Company, I have reprints of their 100+ year old catalogs showing them.) 

Given US$300 for  6" postvise  leaves $1100 for the 170# anvil or about $6.50 a pound.  Not a bragging deal; but if it passes the ring and ball bearing tests; not one to be ashamed of either!

170# anvil and 6" postvise and you have the nucleus of a great shop already!

Your minions did a good job striping all the old paint off the anvil. Knowing the history of the anvil and vise is worth something and I think ya did OK. Hope you have read about not doing any grinding, milling or welding on the hardened face. Hammering hot steel on it will shine the face right up.

29 minutes ago, Irondragon ForgeClay Works said:

Your minions did a good job striping all the old paint off the anvil. Knowing the history of the anvil and vise is worth something and I think ya did OK. Hope you have read about not doing any grinding, milling or welding on the hardened face. Hammering hot steel on it will shine the face right up.

The only thing I touched it with was a wire wheel, and that's all it's going to get.

1 hour ago, ThomasPowers said:

Straight legs and "belled" screwbox might be Indian Chief as well, (or a Columbian, screws and screwboxes were sold as replacement parts by Sears Roebuck Company, I have reprints of their 100+ year old catalogs showing them.)

170# anvil and 6" postvise and you have the nucleus of a great shop already!

Interesting, I've been trying to dig up some info on the older vises, but it seems as though they are more difficult to identify and date than the anvils are.  Yes, these two items will be the cornerstone of my shop, I'm ready to get to work as soon as I get a slab poured in my barn and get a stand built for the anvil.

Both Thomas and I have dirt floors in our shops and I am sure others do too.  After years of working on concrete slabs I kind of like the dirt floor.  It seems to be kinder to my legs and back.  Concrete is fine and has some advantages over dirt and vice versa but I am not feeling deprived because I don't have a slab on the bottom of my shop.

It is something to think about for you.  My shop is an old horse barn and I looked into the cost of digging the floor out and having a slab poured and it was more than I wanted/could pay.  So, I thought that I would try dirt for awhile and it has worked out.  I have put OSB down in the 2 stalls for storage areas and that is working well.

If I were building a shop from the ground up like Jennifer I would have a slab poured but retrofitting an existing building is a different issue.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

PS Excellent anvil and vise.  Also, I like your hard working minions.  If you teach them to smith they will be a bit more formidable when dealing with boys in 10+ years, particularly if they are blade smiths.

Our shop is an a bunny barn from when we raised show rabbits back in the day. It also has a dirt floor mostly with crushed limestone in high traffic areas in front of the coal forge, anvils and post vise. I like it because as George N.M. said it's a lot easier on the feet/legs and if I need to adjust the height of the anvils, scraping away or adding some more fill does the trick. The only cement I poured is the mounting pad for the power hammer and post vise. The only draw back is it's harder to roll stuff around with the hand truck and moving the propane forge outside to it's pad which is also crushed limestone.

50 minutes ago, George N. M. said:

Both Thomas and I have dirt floors in our shops and I am sure others do too.  After years of working on concrete slabs I kind of like the dirt floor.  It seems to be kinder to my legs and back. 

I wouldn't be bothered at all by a hard dirt floor.  There are other reasons that I'm opting for a concrete slab.

50 minutes ago, George N. M. said:

PS Excellent anvil and vise.  Also, I like your hard working minions.  If you teach them to smith they will be a bit more formidable when dealing with boys in 10+ years, particularly if they are blade smiths.

Don't be fooled by the long hair...most people are, we get it a lot.  Those two are barefooted, tree climbing country boys through and through.

Actually when I built by smithy, 20' x 30', as the "dirty shop" add on to my "clean shop" (also 20'x30').  I created the floor by running PT lumber from upright to upright, (used utility poles) and one across the width of the shop in the middle.  I then filled in these "pens" with sand/gravel/clay from the local arroyo; bucket by bucket till it leveled off. Out here I didn't have to worry about moisture so no need for plastic sheathing.  My body really appreciates the "soft floor".

I believe Sisco were cast by the Soderfors foundry and as top shelf as anvils get and it's a nice size. It's heavy enough for large work but still mobile enough to move without calling out the minions. The one thing I would have preferred to see is eye protection on them while chipping paint. 

A nice large leg vise is always a good tool in the shop. 

All in all good score! While the $/lb. ratio may be high for some the anvil make alone more than makes up for a few $. Were that combo advertised in Alaska it'd be gone in hours at asking. 

I like my concrete floor but I'm lucky they've never bothered me, feet to back and I like the: smooth, flat, solid immobile footing.

Frosty The Lucky.

On 4/9/2021 at 10:45 AM, Frosty said:

I believe Sisco were cast by the Soderfors foundry and as top shelf as anvils get and it's a nice size. It's heavy enough for large work but still mobile enough to move without calling out the minions. The one thing I would have preferred to see is eye protection on them while chipping paint.

You are correct, I found a sheet showing all of the touchmarks from the Soderfors factory and the Sisco Superior stamp was among them.  And yes, while they weren't wearing eye protection in the photos, I did make my youngest put on safety goggles.  His big brother was only there for a short time. 

On 4/9/2021 at 10:45 AM, Frosty said:

All in all good score!

Thanks!  I'm really happy with the deal.  I knew from reading previous threads that you had a Soderfors that you quite liked, so I was expecting I might see a reply from you.  You still using yours?