I Forge Iron

Gas forge questions

B4dWolf

Hey B4dWolf: I hope we haven't driven you off, you weren't really out of line. The forum gets a lot of newcomers who feel offended, even throw tantrums and get themselves 86ed from the forum because we tell them they're wrong about something.

It's become a button for too many of us and we got carried away discussing that aspect like you weren't part of the conversation. We owe you an apology for that and I humbly offer you mine. 

We aren't mean guys though like everybody we have bad days. Several of us have survived brain injuries or strokes, some of us have diabetes or other medical conditions that can make us . . . grouchy.:rolleyes: We sometimes feed off each other like how we got going regarding your questions. Sometimes how we word something trips us all up. 

Hot steel, REALLY HOT fire, heavy and sharp, objects aren't subtle, they're all waiting for a mistake to do you B A D. The consequences of mistakes can be direct and intense, it makes us the same way. We tend to maintain a fairly consistent writing style it, makes it easier to get to know and understand each other. We're generally direct about how to do or NOT do things. Others are long winded, don't worry I'll warn you about THOSE guys.:ph34r: 

You'll see a lot about safety, we're all pretty serious about safety and can be pretty protective. If you think we were picking on you just wait till you see what happens to trolls. We can deliver a merciless verbal blood letting BEFORE admin can shut us down. Sometimes a good troll beat down is worth doing time on moderation. <grin>

Anyway, stick around, don't take corrections like they're personal shots and we'll get you up and smithing soonest.

Okay?

Frosty The Lucky.

The site is available to the entire world for the foreseeable future. You never know who might read your question or answer years down the road. That's another reason terminology is important. It's been pretty much set in stone and isn't changing over time with the exception of hardy seems to be becoming a catch all term for anything that fits in the hardy hole instead of a specific tool. In fifty years a swage will still be a swage and a bottom fuller will still be a bottom fuller.

Pnut

19 hours ago, Frosty said:

You'll see a lot about safety, we're all pretty serious about safety and can be pretty protective. If you think we were picking on you just wait till you see what happens to trolls. We can deliver a merciless verbal blood letting BEFORE admin can shut us down. Sometimes a good troll beat down is worth doing time on moderation. <grin>

Speak for yourself, Frosty. I  prefer  knifing trolls  in the back :D

Yeah, a good back knifing is satisfying alright. I was referring to a group troll fun. If I'm going solo I enjoy leading questions and remarks so they eviscerate themselves in the most revealing and humiliating way possible.

If we're talking fantasy I'm thinking a good face punching so hard turned them inside out through their nethers. They COULDN'T smell worse could they?

Frosty The Lucky.

14 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Pnut; I'm still holding out for "hardy hole tooling" myself; but I'm fighting uphill! 

I've been referring to em as hardy tooling or hardy whatever the specific function of the tool happens to be such as hardy fuller. I was taken aback when on another platform I suggested someone make a hardy out of a jackhammer bit and how many people responded with, "I guess you're not going to suggest what type of hardy?", I didn't respond. 

Pnut

OR, hot hardy / cold hardy, "hardy" being a specific name for a bottom tool. Unfortunately this being a living language / jargon "hardy" has become blurred as a term and now requires qualifiers. 

Personally I like: Top, Bottom and Hand for the 3 main anvil tool types though "spring" is as legitimate a general anvil tool as I can think and has been around as long as springy metals have been used to make anvil tooling. 

Anvil tooling like guillotines, whether made with a shank or saddle are bottom tools without saying so adding further designation is added verbage without added content. Hmmm?

Specialty tooling may need descriptive names, no question.

Frosty The Lucky.

Talk about typing in sync! Folks call bottom tools hardy tools I only quibble if they call them hardies. I forgot to mention bottom dies like cams and forks. I forgot to mention shears too. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I think that nowadays people want the quick answer that will fix all their issues (Easy Button). Being a newbie myself to forging I quickly learned that with forge designs there is no such thing.

Last year after finding this site and reading through the treads for Burners 101 and the forges thread I started asking questions. 

With the help from the members here I know have a forge that is pretty xxxxxxx amazing. I know it is properly insulated and my burner can be turned up enough to melt steel. After a short warm up the entire interior of the forge gets the same color and will heat steel the entire length of the interior of the forge. Following the info here you will end up with a solid performing forge.

PS I belong to a few Facebook groups and watch a bunch of YouTube. It is shocking to me what I see posted as fact. With my limited knowledge I know that a good portion of it bunk.

Forgive my dented memory for forgetting you live only about 70 miles up the highway from us. Did you score any of Kevin's gear? 

When Covid settles out we'll have to get together. Have you been making club meetings? I've been staying here in the trees but plan on making the next one unless Covid flares up again.

Frosty The Lucky.

We tell folks that YouTube has a lot of material that is misleading or incorrect.  On IForgeIron the information self corrects in a post or two so you get correct information.

Glad you have built up enough knowledge in your data base of reading that you can recognize junk when you see it.

Frosty, I have not made it to any of the meetings.  I did attend one of the classes earlier this year.  Would love to get together.  I am fully vaccinated for COVID-19.  When ever you would like to get together let me know.  

Edited by Mod30
Remove @name tag

The next meeting is Sat, 04/24, starts 9:00am at "Arctic Fires Bronze" on Springer Loop Rd. in Palmer. I'm going, I've been isolating for a long dang year. If you think you can make it PM me I'll give you directions or we can meet up on the road, you drive within 2 miles of my place on the way in. 

Frosty The Lucky.

On 4/11/2021 at 8:05 PM, Glenn said:

Glad you have built up enough knowledge in your data base of reading that you can recognize junk when you see it.

Keeping in mind that there are two types of junk: junk information that you get rid of, and junk material that you save for some future project!