I Forge Iron

Greetings from Zeeland

Jobtiel1

Hi All, 

Thought it might be time to write a small introduction about myself. The name's Job, I'm currently 22 years old, and still in school doing a master's degree in analytical chemistry. I live in the province of Zeeland, on a peninsula largely reclaimed from the sea, and currently live 3 meters below sea level.

I started blacksmithing last summer, mainly because I wanted do get back at creating things. When I was a kid, I used to do carpentry with my dad all the time, building treehouses and the like. Due to studying and getting older, I quit doing that. Now I got back into it with blacksmithing and I've been loving it ever since!

In terms of blacksmithing, for now I like to make iron hardware and my own tools, and plan on making axes and other tools for woodworking (chisels, plane blades, gouges etc.).

My current projects consist of making all the hardware for a new shed for the new house, thumb latch, hinges, door handles, tool hooks. 

I try to use minimal power tools, and like taking longer do work by hand, as for me it's a hobby and not a business, so I can take as long as I want to on projects.

I hope you got to know me better.

If anyone is ever in the area, or already lives nearby, hit me up! I'd love to meet up and do some work with other smiths.

~ Jobtiel

Welcome, I'm about 1432 meters above sea level; we worry about not having enough water than having too much out here.  There are several smiths from the Netherlands on IFI; I cope you can suss them out.   My Parents spent 4 years in Naarden  back 30+ years ago and I visited a couple of times; first grandchild mandatory visit, etc.

It is nice to not be tied to production and selling.  During the lockdown I decided to make more things for my house and self; though normally I run my smithy at a dead loss anyway as I wanted a hobby not a job.  Doing historical reproductions is a personal interest as is the study of historic ferrous processes.

How are you treating your metal items to prevent rusting being in a damp climate with a lot of  Cl ions around?

Hi Thomas, 

That's quite the difference in height, I don't really think about living below sea level anymore, maybe that's the same for you up there as well.

I have seen some Dutch posters already, Deimos standing out as a frequent poster that also happens to live nearby. In the Dutch sense of nearby anyway, Naarden for example is quite far from me, halfway across the country! The fact that it's only a max 2 hour drive is washed away when you say it like that.

It is indeed nice to not be tied by a business, and so far I haven't had any commissions from friends or family, apart from some fire strikers, but since we're moving in a few weeks I'm busy enough with my own projects.

Good question on the type of finish I use, for now I have only used BLO for indoor pieces, said fire strikers and some leatherworking tools. But for outdoor use I don't know if that's going to be good enough. And to be fair, I haven't tried. The scientist in me calls for a good scientific test, so I will make a post soon after I tried different finishes I have available at the moment and update. For now that's probably going to be BLO, beeswax, and a mixture of the two. Rust is indeed a big issue if left unchecked here, rusted car undercarriages and the like.

The Vise I am restoring from the other thread stood in the shed with semi direct access to open air for about three months and only had BLO applied to it cold, and it hasn't got any visible rust, so I guess routinely applying that should be fine. But we'll see soon enough.

~Jobtiel

Actually I live down in a valley near the river. I can see 3050 meters from my front door astronomical observatory is a pimple on the mountain that parallels the valley.  Of course when I visited the ALMA radio telescope in Chile that is at 5000 meters!

Finding out what works best for your environment is the correct way to do things!  I live in a desert; what works for me may not last a week on a beachfront house!   (In fact I usually suggest stainless steel or forgeable nickel-copper alloys for beachfront items.)

• 2 weeks later...