I Forge Iron

Hello from a total newb in Missouri

TJN

Hey everyone, I've been interesting in smithing for about 30 years but real life has always gotten in the way. I'm finally in a place in life where I can actually pick it up.  Looking forward to getting to know some new people, learn about the craft, and get started with a new hobby.

Welcome aboard TJN, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you'll have a better chance of hooking up with members living within visiting distance. Networking not only gives you a chance to work with experienced folk but puts you in the loop for available tools, equipment, supplies, BBQs, etc.

And how about a name, nick name, something more memorable than initials unless you are SO memorable your initials will be burned into our memories for good. Please PLEASE tell me you're THAT memorable, it's been kind of a boring year.

What do you have in mind to make when you pick up the craft? 

Frosty The Lucky.

Welcome, TNJ.  You might want to check out BAM, Blacksmiths Association of Missouri.  Google for info.  They have meetings all over the state...maybe one close to you.  Meeting with other smiths is the absolute best way to learn the trade/skill/art of blacksmithing.

What, TJN is not "tyro jejune newbie"?   I suffer for my Initials being TP cannot I share the wealth?

Now that that is out of the way;  what kinds of things are you interested in making?  What kind of equipment do you plan to use and what do you have already?

Are you anywhere near the House Handle co in Cassville? I've been meaning to stock up next time I go the Quad-State; as the oddballs are in short supply out here.