I Forge Iron

Trexton Anvil. Looking for a price

Mrs. Stebbins,

$400 offer for a 200 pound anvil in really good shape and made by a top notch manufacturer is a sucker bid.

The SLAG thinks that it is way undervalued. 

Even where it is situated in Concord Maine.

Jennifer is correct, that there are a fair number of female members on this site. Many of them working at a high level of expertise.

Give it a shot you might like it.

Welcome,

SLAG.

New 200 pound anvils are running $1200-1700 PLUS  motor freight (which may be significant).  I think he is low balling you to offer $2/lb. It is a good quality anvil in good condition.  I suggest that you hold firm at $800-900.  I'm sure that someone will take it at that price.

Incidentally, one of the primary qualities of an anvil is its weight.  You have said that you think it is about 200 pounds.  I suggest that you take the bathroom scale out to the shop and get help from one big man or 2 smaller ones and get an accurate weight.  That gives you a better bargaining position because you KNOW a fact rather than an estimate.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

8 hours ago, ebuonarosa said:

No but o know he does not want to pay that since it’s “used”. I am sure he was thinking around 400

I think the person is trying to take advantage of you. It sounds like he's looking to make some money off of it.  $600 would be a very fair price. A steal almost in my opinion. I'd tell him to go buy whatever else he seen that's a better deal. Your anvil would easily have an ASKING price of $1000 in my location. I think 600-800 would be fair. 

Pnut

33 minutes ago, pnut said:

I think the person is trying to take advantage of you. It sounds like he's looking to make some money off of it.  $600 would be a very fair price. A steal almost in my opinion. I'd tell him to go buy whatever else he seen that's a better deal. Your anvil would easily have an ASKING price of $1000 in my location. I think 600-800 would be fair. 

Pnut

Thank you! That is what I thought also. I know one thing they don’t depreciate like a car 

I wouldn't hold a counter offer that makes you want to throw rotten tomatoes at him, low balling the counter is how the game is played. If he contacts you again for an answer tell him that on considering his offer and checking the market for anvils in that condition by makers as renowned as Trenton you couldn't take less than $1,250 from him. Oh, don't forget to tell him you're waiting on another call at $1,250! Just because nobody HAS called and offered $1,250 doesn't mean waiting for one is untrue. You ARE waiting for someone to call and offer $1,250, AREN'T YOU? :ph34r:

Bargaining is a skilled craft and has all types playing. Stick to your guns on $1,000 it's a fair price for the size and condition for a top shelf anvil. Were you advertising it in Alaska it would've been gone before the ink dried on the ad. 

I'd have to like someone an awful lot to let him/er have it for $800. I admit I HAVE fallen for a good story.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thank you!  I sell a lot of household items but never took and not blacksmith tools. It’s my neighbor actually but I stand firm. My husband is not here so if he was he would want me to make a solid deal. I will follow this direction and see what happens! Thanks again!  

Good for you, GO get em tiger! B) 

Of course if you decided to keep it all and take up the craft you might . . . MIGHT I say, find a bunch of smelly old blacksmiths who'd be proud and honored to help feed your addiction to HOT steel and hitting it with hammers. And HECK, of all the folk we see who want to learn blacksmithing by making knives or swords I would not bet against you. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Your neighbor sounds like he/she is "silly" and trying to play you like a cheap fiddle. Or maybe they are just ignorant. Send them to Harbor Fright for a brand spanking new, high quality, top of the line, imported, cheap cast iron anvil, in their price range.

Everybody knows you could walk into the Trenton/Trexton showroom and buy them brand new for around 20 cents a pound, in 1920 or so. 

You may find someone that you feel would benefit from your anvil, and maybe you give them a deal, but that is your call. When I finish using my tools for good, I hope they go to someone who will use and appreciate them, but by that time it will not matter to me.