I Forge Iron

Trexton Anvil. Looking for a price

Post some pictures so we can judge condition. No close ups, right side, left side, Front and rear of the foot and a shot or two of the face and one of the bottom.

Frosty The Lucky.

3 quatloos!  Can't tell you much without knowing LOCATION and CONDITION; in the UK it will be cheaper than in Australia for instance. Over 100 countries participate on these forums on the World Wide Web, shoot the price can very by a couple of hundred just here in the USA depending on what state!

21 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Post some pictures so we can judge condition. No close ups, right side, left side, Front and rear of the foot and a shot or two of the face and one of the bottom.

Frosty The Lucky.

I am in Southern New Hampshire. And yes it’s a Trenton thank you 

0BD002AA-A4A2-4498-BC2F-E15E7B3766F0.jpeg

CE529B25-3383-49CF-B9AF-342A5403E8CF.jpeg

21F95BC9-D953-4D21-9DE8-63E2F0A60549.jpeg

DE918D6B-89DC-46F3-91F7-CF9B7DDC92EE.jpeg

553FF924-CF87-4A78-AE74-AC33235E95F9.jpeg

E997461F-5FFB-49C8-821B-780952D08681.jpeg

I hope I get that book memorized one day like you have Thomas, ebuonarosa That anvil looks pretty nice not sure on what pricing is out your way but there are probably a lot of people on here in your area that can give you an idea. Also there’s a list of blacksmithing organizations on the main page maybe you have a club close by you that could help you out with pricing. 

I’m sorry to hear about your husband, I would definitely try looking through that list and contacting the closest blacksmith organization to you, Blacksmiths can be eccentric sometimes but I’ve never met one that wasn’t willing to help out. I’m sure someone from a local club can help you price it and if you decide to sell it they can probably help you with that to, and you will know that it’s going to a good home where it will be used and cared for. 

I was going to ask about the reason for the value request. I had a feeling about the situation, but didn’t want to pry.

If you are looking to put the equipment back in good hand, look up the local blacksmith organization, and see if they will help by setting up an auction open to club members and affiliates. This may not bring the best value, but there seems to be other craft related tools and tooling that could be use to many smiths. (There may be a few scoundrels who may resale for a profit, but let’s not talk about them.) If you’re looking for top dollar you could try a couple online options, Facebook market place, eBay, etc. But then you’ll have to wait for the sale. The anvil may move fast, but the other items may not move at all. On the other hand, there may be interest from family members as well. Also, you may want to wait a while, I’d hate for you to regret a quick discussion after the loss of a loved one. I’ve heard it said that you should wait a year before making any real big decisions. 

Just my thought, without know your situation...

David

Thank you for his name. It's always so sad to hear of one of us has passed on. I will ring my anvil in the garden three times in his honor. You are in the New England Blacksmith Association area.

https://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/169-new-england-blacksmiths-assoc/

Was he a member or a member in one of the Bladesmith organizations? Have you given this any thought, we have many women who are Blacksmiths, including my wife and some are members here. They are amazing at hammering hot steel on the anvil. Maybe you could learn the craft/hobby to carry on. Jennifer (jlpservicesinc) is a member here and is in the process of building a blacksmith school just south of you in Massachusetts. Here is a link to her school, she is an amazing teacher too.

Ebuonarosa, I'm sorry to hear of the passing of your husband.  I lost my spouse 7 years ago and although I have moved on I still miss her.

Some of best smiths I have known have been women, e.g. Jennifer or Dorothy Stiegler.  IMO, they tend to have a better eye for proportion and shape and because of lesser upper body strength they develop better technique more quickly.  That may be sexist stereo typing but even stereo types have a basis in fact.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Ebuonaraso, I sent you a private message with some local pricing trends and history on your anvil since we're neighbors.  Vinny at the Milford shop is a great guy that I've met a few times.  Feel free to send me any questions you have, I'm happy to help however I can!

I only just saw you'd lost your husband. You have my deepest condolences, I'll ring my anvil next time I dig my way to the shop. 

Lady smiths have a different aesthetic than we smelly smiths. Less upper body strength means they need to be more accurate and effective with every blow and heck just see things differently. 

The world can use more lady smiths.

Frosty The Lucky.

There are a bunch of us "Girls" smithing and some very talented people for sure.. 

I specialize in all facets of forging metal or more general forge work..  

I'd say 5.00lb or better..  It's in very good shape.. Trenton makes a good anvil.. Some prefer them over others even with a steel face on wrought iron body..