I Forge Iron

brushape

Gentlemen

I would like some help with the history of the anvil that I own.  It came from the village blacksmith of the old town of "Dew Rock, (Camden County) Missouri.  Dew Rock was located on the Osage River at a natural ford, about 25 miles due south of the present day city of Versailles.

In the early 1930's, Union Electric constructed a dam across the river at Bagnallm, MO, to supply power to the state (Missouri's own TVA).  The Lake of the Ozarks is the body of water impounded behind that dam.  Dew Rock is presently under about 70' of water.

Dad used the anvil on the farm when I was growing up.  I got it when he sold the farm.  I have used it in my business of landscape construction.  I have been retired now for about 10 years and it is gathering rust. 

I do not knows its history before coming to Dew Rock, or when it came there.  Armitage House is the manufacturer stamped on it.  It has no date of manufacture that I can find.  It has stamped on it in large numbers 1 . 1 . 17 - located below the manufacturers name.  ?????

It weight about 150#  Many years ago I could pick it up for short distances - but not now - I am 79 years

The bounce test is about 65%.  The "ring test" is beautiful - but then again, I am prejudice.  I love to hear it ring.

Dimensions are as follows:   overall length - 23";    overall height - 11";   hardy hole is 1" square;   pritchel hole is 3/4";   face is 4 x 14";

it has a square 1" hole running lengthwise through the "waist" of the anvil.  I assume that this was for ease of handling in manufacture and shipping.

If more information is needed, let me know.  I will appreciate any history that you can give me

I would appreciate any information that you can give me

I try to argue it every time it comes up; they are a good well known brand of  English anvil that was imported to the USA in large numbers; just like Peter Wright anvils. More of a Ford vs Chevy argument in my opinion!   (Not something special like the cast STEEL sodefors anvils!  Those are something different!)

Welcome aboard Brushape, glad to have you. If you put your general location in the header you might be surprised how any members live within visiting distance. It'd be a lot easier to help you evaluate your anvil with a couple pics. Mouseholes are fine anvils, top shelf, a positive favorite of John who is who everybody's poking fun at right now. I'm the one getting jabbed at about Soderfors anvils. Hard to compare the two though it doesn't make a bunch of difference. We all have our favorites.

I don't know what I've done recently  to deserve the honor of being teased but I'll take it. It's a family thing. This is a good place to hang out.

Frosty The Lucky.