I Forge Iron

Mig tip has leaks on forge burners

John bones jones

Basically, the gas ends up going the same way, with leaks or not. Some burner designs (like mine) cannot tolerate the slightest leak, and will continuasly back fire; others don't. If the leak is creating a problem, you will not instantly. If not; well, silence is golden :)

18 minutes ago, John bones jones said:

I think I might know why it’s leaking. The pipe I tapped for the mig tip is schedule 40 black pipe. Can you use schedule 40 or should you always go with schedule 80? Because with schedule 80 being thicker you can put more threads in for a better seal.

Am I able to get away with schedule 40 if I can seal the leak or should I go with schedule 80?

I just responded to your PM so I won't repeat myself.

Whatever you use with propane make SURE  it's rated for use with Propane. Apply it to the male threads and hold back a little from the end so none gets pushed into the flow path.

You asked about whether you should've threaded schd 80 rather than 40 for the mig tips. That depends how did you mount the mig tips, in the END or SIDE of the pipe? If you tapped the ID of the pipe you'd know schd 40 doesn't work the mig tip would wiggle.

However drilling and tapping through the side is probably the origin for the leak. The OD of the pipe is round and the shoulder where the threads end on a mig tip isn't square it's angles to improve electrical contact in the mig torch. Not that I think a leak there is an issue. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Yes. The reason we suggest that the 1/8" pipe be schedule #80 instead of schedule #40 is that the thicker wall makes MIG tip thread in the end of the pipe match well, making gas tubes more effective and less effort. But those are in axially parallel gas pipe. Not in cross pipes.