I Forge Iron

Little canedy Otto

TWISTEDWILLOW

Here’s another blower I found recently. It’s much smaller than any other blower I’ve dragged home. When I first got pictures sent to me I mistook it for one of the big ones with a round base so I told the guy I’d buy it. But to my dismay and amusement when I arrived there to pick it up it was a mini version of what I was looking for lol.  Most of the round base blowers I’ve came across were significantly bigger than this so it definitely took me by surprise. Either way I dragged it home because I didn’t have one this size. Maybe it was bbq grill blower? 

169F93FB-1DF3-43C1-9F23-564996035C50.jpeg

ADF5D900-0532-423B-ABDE-0D1A5D37353C.jpeg

5679751B-8B2D-4E40-AC9F-CD6396E5362E.jpeg

AA0C3008-6A2F-4F07-9520-CED938BF8138.jpeg

F7D38D59-18EF-4A2C-B90E-F4A2C2F42D5C.jpeg

3451689A-5BDF-4020-98CB-BC79F191BCF8.jpeg

How tiny is tiny?  If that's a 3" outlet, the pivot bolt head is about 1/2", the hub is about 1", the pipe is about 2", and the diameter is about 10".  Is that about right? 

That would be huge compared to the new 6" tall "80W hand crank" blowers sold for BBQ grills on Amazon.

Hello Dave and thanks for your input. I don’t know about any blowers on Amazon I’ve never looked at them, but compared to any forge blowers I personally own or have seen it’s pretty small. The gear box on this little candy Otto could almost fit in the outlet on a couple of others I have. 

As you said, it's hard to tell the size from pictures.  Can you measure something on it and say how big it is?  

From a Canedy-Otto catalog at http://www.bamsite.org/books/canedy.pdf their normal fan size is 10-12".  Theydo  show some lighter weight ones going down to 7.5" with "Capacity to heat  1-inch iron", and heavier ones going up to 14.5" with "Capacity to heat 4-inch iron".  For their 10" fans they say has capacity to heat 3-1/2" iron.

How big is tiny?

image.thumb.png.a3249aaa057f050c1b90ebb948595031.png

That’s very interesting Dave now you got me interested in finding an even smaller one thanks lol, I’ve never came across a 7.5” blower personally but as much rusty stuff as I drag home maybe I’ll find one some day. I can only speak from personal experience that this is the smallest lightest and shortest blower I’ve personally found to date. But it’s a big world and there’s a lot of tools I haven’t dragged home.... yet lol. 

Thanks irondragon for the info about it being a charcoal side draft blower. all the champions, buffaloes and ottos I have found so far were much larger and heavier than this one. so it was something new to me, I located another round base almost three times the size of this one in my area a couple years ago at a little old run down shop in a junk yard but the old man wouldn’t sell it at any price, his son recently brought a welder to my shop for repair and I inquired about the blower, he told me his dad really likes to trade!!! So I’m gonna go back sometime this spring and bring an anvil and see if he will go for it! 

Out of the blue Ebay just Unsolicited Commercial Emailed me the listing on this one.  I'd guess it's a ~7.5" fan.

image.thumb.png.64f8f75e4b8266cd5f7fee959adc82f3.pngimage.thumb.png.d2b53f60f04f72187c27bb95298439be.png

Based on the 1077 and 1076 in the pics, and this spare-parts page from that catalog, I'd bet an S-hook that it's a tinier-than-normal Canedy-Otto.

Edited by Dave F
Add a spare parts page and uninformed guess.

Thanks pnut I’ll have to build a forge to match it. that’s really cool Dave, but I don’t mess with eBay I like to hunt around old farms, workshops and junk yards for tools and sometimes they find their way to me at my shop! thank you for sharing the tip though.