I Forge Iron

Can we unlock my Oklahoma coal thread?

I'm not sure but it usually means that all the easily accessible coal is gone and it's not financially viable to extract what's left since natural gas is so cheap. Methane seepage could also contribute to closures since mitigation drives the cost up further but I'd wager it's more to do with natural gas competition. That's what shut down a lot of the mines in KY. Without strip mining the site (mountain top removal in KY) it wasn't profitable to operate any longer. Have any coal fired power plants shut down in the state? Sometimes the power plant is the only thing keeping a mining operation in business. I'm just guessing based on what I know from the KY coal industry. It could be a completely different set of circumstances in Oklahoma. 

Pnut

Can the thread be unlocked and the political posts be deleted. Most of us are adults and I assume a very large percentage are or can be reasonable people. It is a discussion I feel is worth having and one which can be had without bringing politics into it. 

It's easy, start discussing it.  Where do YOU get coal, price, etc.? Maybe someone else in your general area is a member and you guys can but quantity. You know, discuss the ins and outs. The original thread went politics south and got locked up. No reason not to open the original discussion again. Folks will join in and if someone crosses the TOS line, people participating can legitimately JUMP THEIR BUTT about it. 

Honest, you can Iforge is generally self moderating and if someone had said something to stop the unacceptable discussion that thread would probably still be going. You can't call folks names but you sure can say something like, That's a TOS violation, DROP IT, TAKE IT ELSEWHERE, SHUT UP! That and reporting the post will clean a thread right up. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Part of the problem with the other thread is the way the question was asked has an answer that involves politics, and there is no way to explain more with out getting into politics [political content deleted].  Also this question is starting that one back up again, and should have been a PM to Glenn, not a public post

Im struggling with this one a bit. I understand why politics in general has no place here, It gets people all worked up. But on the subject of coal? Theres nothing more important then the fuel we use to heat the steel. There all alternatives, but none of them are truly sustainable. 

Well charcoal used to be farmed sustainably even on an Industrial scale!   When were were touring the hanging rock region Iron Smelters in Ohio each company smelting owned enough "coal lands" that by the time they reached the end of them harvesting and making the trees into charcoal, they could start all over again---about 30 years a cycle IIRC. 

Coppicing was a common method in the UK.