I Forge Iron

Where to buy a used anvil in Central New York?

Hello. I am looking for a place to buy a used anvil in Central New York. I have looked at local ads and craigslist but haven’t found any for sale. Any ideas where I should start looking? I’m new to forging and have between $200-$300 to spend. Thank you.

I suggest reading the TPAAAT thread. Online is the worst place to hunt for anvils or any blacksmithing tools for that matter. I also suggest editing your profile to show location because we won't remember it once leaving this post.

https://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/268-tpaaat-applied-anvil-acquisition-technique/

Have you read the TPAAAT post yet?  The answer is *everywhere*!   I've found several anvils just talking with people at coffee after church. My largest anvil and in best condition, was found talking to a random stranger at a fleamarket.  I would expect anvils to be selling for at least US$4-5 a pound in your area so trying to find one people are trying to sell for your budget will be hard.  Finding ones "hiding" is your best bet!

Read about the TPAAAT  and get started!

Suggest you try to attend a NYSDB hammer in, once they get going again.  There are often used anvils in the tailgating section. Price wise you are on the lower side for our area, but you can sometimes get one for $3-5 per pound if you are patient or not too picky.  I have an extra 125# Peter Wright I'm not using currently, but would be looking for more than you are willing to pay for it.