I Forge Iron

Soderfors numeric code 1807

I picked up this sweet little 66lb Soderfors recently.  It was covered in silver paint that was covering gold paint, so, I couldn't make out the markings until I cleaned it up.  It has the traditional Soderfors Crown and Shield crest, also stamped Soderfors and Sweden.  It does not have Paragon or the Razor symbol stamp.  The anvil does have a parting line and a handling hole under the heel.  Interestingly, the reverse side has the numbers 1807 stamped in and I am curious about what this number could refer to.  I don't believe it to be a date or a date code.  In AIA Postman writes, "...every Swedish anvil that I have been able to identify in this country was manufactured in the 20th century or just before."  I also did a google image search and found an 88lb Soderfors on WorthPoint that has the numbers 987 on the reverse side -- that anvil is identified as being made in 1905.  My 66 pounder does not have a date where you would expect to find one but Postman also writes that "This company was not consistent with the appearance of their trademarks."  The numbers 66 on the front are around 1" tall.  The numbers 1807 on the reverse are also 1" tall, so, they are pretty prominent.  Some ideas that came to mind are: simple addition counting the number of anvils one year, the code of the worker who assembled the mold, the steel configuration, the iron source, the vendor to who this anvil ships?  What do you think? Anybody else have a Soderfors with numbers on the revers side? If so, what are the numbers and what is the date of your anvil -- if any date is supplied?  Also if you have any clues to the date of my 66 pounder, I would be interested to learn more about it.

IMG_2528.JPG

IMG_2523.JPG

IMG_2515.JPG

IMG_2517.JPG

I would think it's a date, but I honestly have no idea. The date on mine is stamped on the foot under the horn.

IMG_2019-12-09_17-51-30.thumb.jpeg.b8375298bc6d527236073e08f8cfd78d.jpeg

Regardless of the year, that's a nice looking anvil! you can find other examples of Soferfors anvils here:

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/21/2021 at 7:39 PM, HickoryTree said:

picked up this sweet little 66lb Soderfors recently. 

Just putting a marker on this so I can do some more investigation.  But as per the above comments, and before I have had a chance to review Frosty's video, I would say that, in general, Soderfors markings are all over the place, and difficult to devine.  I have my 88#er, which is accessible, whilst my 157#er was put up on blocks before I started having heart attacks. may take a while before I can pull out the big one.

Robert Taylor

Nope, not mine.:rolleyes: 

Soderfors is a large industrial foundry that made anvils as a sideline. The made whatever size and basic type a customer wished to pay for. Sooo you see anvils with different names, "Sisco, and Paragon" come to mind but there are others. Identifying a cast steel anvil as a Soderfors can be difficult there were so many variations. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I don't remember seeing a picture of Frosty's 1933 Sorceress #5 but I did recently see the pics of Anachronist58's 157 pounder and that one appears to have the numbers "1332" on the reverse side (not sure) -- and I think that one is from the year 1906?  

My 125lb. Sorceress #5 is stamped 1923 or 26, I don't recall. It's one or the other and I had it wrong for years until I took a wire brush and cleaned it out better. So it's 23 or 26 and I'm not going to dig my way in the door and brush it to check. I just like to use it, don't really care how old it is. Sweetest anvil I've ever struck.

Frosty The Lucky.

If it's the date it's probably 1932 or 1832, I don't think Soderfors was in operation in the 14th century. I could be wrong though, the foundry name refers to the town/city Soderfors and it's been an industrial town for centuries so maybe.

Frosty The Lucky.