I Forge Iron

I'm New Here

BillNelson

Hello Gang, 

My name is Bill,  and I'm new both to this forum and to blacksmithing.   If I ask any stupid questions I apologize in advance for my inexperience and lack of knowledge.   I came here to learn and maybe find a few friends with similar interests.   I'm 43 and I live 10 minutes from Philadelphia PA, just on the other side of the river in New Jersey.  So as I said, hello!   I look forward to talking to you all soon. 

Welcome, Bill! Glad to have you here, and I hope you find the encouragement and information you need.

I got my start blacksmithing in Philadelphia in the early 1980s, with an extension course at the Philadelphia College of Art (now the University of the Arts, although the course is no longer offered), and my dad used to drive me over the Ben Franklin Bridge to Camden to buy blacksmith's coal from an old coal and oil dealer. Lots of great old 18th and 19th century ironwork in the older parts of town. 

Welcome aboard Bill, glad to have you. I'd apologize for stupid answers but I sort of specialize in them for special folk. 

Nobody is born knowing this stuff so we've all had pretty much the same questions. Good questions are a treasure, there are somewhere around 56,000 members and who knows how many reading without subscribing to the forum in 150(?) countries around the planet so anybody who asks a question has who knows how many other folks with the same question reading the answer.

So just ask away, eh?

Frosty The Lucky.