I Forge Iron

New tool

I bougt this tool today since i wanted to use it to bend metal but iam not sure is it tap handle or it is universal die.

This teeth can make thread but i think they can hold tap too.

I think this is homemade by somebody since i didnt found tool like this on internet.

Here are pictures

IMG_20210316_211643.jpg

IMG_20210316_211650.jpg

IMG_20210316_211657.jpg

It is a die holder.  The two pieces of metal with the hole (half hole) is the die for cutting threads of a particular size on a rod or bolt.  The 3rd piece of metal with the screw attached is to apply pressure and hold the dies in place.

Best Choice 40-Piece Tap and Die Set - SAE Inch Sizes | Essential Threading  Tool with Storage Case - - Amazon.com

The round disks (outside) are the dies for cutting threads on rods or bolts.  The long threaded rods (neat the handle) are the taps for cutting threads in a hole.

George well i added pictures.

Glen it have teeth it can carve thread on rods.

I made one thread with it.

Do you guys think this is homemade by some smith, machinist, or it is from factory.

Here are pieces taken apart when it is unscrewed.

1615928310477114084890.jpg

Good Morning,

I have one similar, the dies are able to flip end for end to cut different number of threads. It is primarily meant to clean up an existing thread. Different thread count will work on multiple sizes of material/bolt/stud/?? It is interesting to see how advanced our ancestors actually were!!

Neil

Yup, thread chaser. They aren't very good for cutting threads but work well for cleaning up damaged thread. I THINK they sort of went away when thread files became the go to tool for chasing threads.

Frosty The Lucky.

Swedefiddle; in the 1703 edition of Moxon's "Mechanick Exercises" a "screw-plate" to cut threads on a screw was considered a mandatory piece of equipment in the blacksmithing section and there is even a dedicated section on making screws and nuts.  (Later there is also a section on cutting them manually on large pieces of stock.

15 hours ago, swedefiddle said:

I have one similar, the dies are able to flip end for end to cut different number of threads. It is primarily meant to clean up an existing thread. Different thread count will work on multiple sizes of material/bolt/stud/?? It is interesting to see how advanced our ancestors actually were!!

Yes different size will work, i do not know i give it try and it could make thread just you need to tighten screw on handle

I didn't know that it was called thread chaser.

Guys  is possible to use this tool to twist hot  steel?

Is it waste to use it for that?

17 minutes ago, natkova said:

is posible to use this tool to twist hot  steel?

Maybe. You might need to make different dies so it'll grip the stock being twisted well. The cutters may want to cut threads in hot steel rather than clamp it. Also the cutting teeth will be ruined by contact with HOT steel. Yes?

I don't know how strong it is, twisting might be too much force on it but I'm sure you can twist smaller size stock. Just a wild guess here, say 10mm and smaller? Of course a person could experiment easily enough, if the handles bend that one was too large.;)

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, thread chasers are quite common in auto repair. Especially transmission shops. When removing the axles from FWD vehicles a lot of times the threaded end will mushroom over. The fix is grind off the mushroomed part and chase the threads so the nut will thread back on. Honda transmission shafts are also bad about the threads galling up. 

Oh yeah, chasing threads is pretty much a must mechanicking. Are your chasers like Natkova's example or do you have thread files or one that fits a standard thread wrench? I used to have a set that you could drive with a ratchet, 3/8" or 1/2".

Frosty The Lucky. 

1 hour ago, natkova said:

Guys  is posible to use this tool to twist hot  steel?

Like Frosty said, Maybe. The problem is that you need to be able to get it over the end of your workpiece and slide it down to where you want it; that can be awkward with particularly long pieces.

I much prefer using a wrench with a long handle welded on. You can adjust it to the right size before you start twisting, and it's easy to slip over the side at the place where you want it. Here's mine:

image.jpeg.5e57a42617530014d1c4e504ed289eed.jpeg

If you're going to be twisting lots of pieces with the same dimension, you can make a dedicated twisting wrench that's just a flat bar with a properly sized square notch in one edge.

Well i will see i think i will use it to restore threads if it is same "steps" as some hread are. All thread are not same, some of are metric, some are imperial some are pipe thread ec.

I tought to put sheet metal on those teeth toprotect it and to make it not to cut metal when i want to bend it. 

Some small pieces was tha i was planned to bend.

Well i don have welder  hat's why i tried this option to have in mind.

The chaser set i have looks like a set of big nuts, then the threads have cutting edges in about 8 locations. Kind of like dies but with out the slots for chip relief. You can drive them with either a socket or a wrench. 

Yes i do have a set of thread files. English and metric. Amazing how many people ask what they are when they see them.

Natkova, you could grind some off the side with the cutting edges. Grind out the threads and re-tap it to what ever thread you want. With the proper steel and a couple simple fullers it provably wouldnt be to awful difficult to make different dies either. Or just drill and grind into shape.