I Forge Iron

Does anyone here MIG weld with a pacemaker implanted?

No it's not your bad at all. F standing for Field hadn't occurred to me, I could be expounding based on a bad assumption. Heck the times I've heard / seen it representing Frequency may not have been the excepted use. 

Now I'm hoping someone who actually knows will speak up, right or wrong I'd rather know. Right now I'm thinking I'm wrong and that changes my thoughts considerably. For example.

Agreed, lasers don't cause a field beyond a little reflection from the work and I don't think visible light can effect electronics. 

Frosty The Lucky.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I appreciate the thought but if we should use the whole word rather than an abbreviation then it should be the case for both words. And frankly, the more I think about the context in which EMF is used, I'm thinking Field is the intended meaning in most if not all cases.

I may have my definition hung on someone's mistake or granting the benefit of the doubt maybe an archaic definition.

I don't mind finding out I've been wrong, I do mind staying wrong. I appreciate folk who correct my mistakes, I make lots of them but I'm trying to fix that and help is welcome.

Frosty The Lucky.

I used EM Field because that is alternative writing of Electro Magnetic Fields, I have to rely on the internet for my translations but that gives tons of room for errors. Since you guys actually speak the language I will yield to your experience/knowledge in the matter.

Isn't making mistakes the reason we are all here on the forum? 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_field

Oh NOOO!:o Don't yield to MY experience and knowledge of English, even American English! I'm wrong so often I think the Grammar Hammer only speaks to me for comic relief!

7 minutes ago, Deimos said:

Isn't making mistakes the reason we are all here on the forum? 

Well, sort of. I like to think we bring our mistakes here to shine some light on them and hopefully get them fixed.

Who told you I get sucked into rabbit holes like that link you baited me into opening? If the dog hadn't needed to go out I would've been trapped in there for I don't know how long.

Has Slag told on me? He has me reading about fungi that use ionizing radiation as energy for radiosynthesis. rather than light energy for photosynthesis.

I already have hours of reading WAY above my education level to occupy me.

Thank you very much. Seriously, thank you for the link, just skimming has me thoroughly hooked. It's a good thing honest.

Frosty The Lucky.

Teehee, I will go see if I can find some more links for you then B) *Muahahahaha*

EMC, the biggest rabbit hole anyone can think of when dealing with electric motors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_compatibility

And for good measure, here is one about pacemakers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_cardiac_pacemaker

PS: I know how you feel, I have "wasted" the last 3 days watching video's about Dune (found the book in storage and now my wife is reading it) Can't not give an answer if she wants to know something so I have to buff up my knowledge about that universe, talk about a rabbit hole.

Since reading hurts my brain I now tend to listen to other people talking about things I want to know more about.

Irondragon, Thank you for getting back with the welder and amperage info. The info is useful, but disappointing, I have a Miller 211, I was hoping the welder was some monster beast at 3000 amps....

Still trying to get my cardiologist to call me back, I did make it to his right hand minion...I started asking specific questions like the Make and model he wanted to install,  and got "UHHHH I'll have the Dr. call you". It is very frustrating to not have any information other than very broad general info. like Deimos posted.

I do appreciate all the reply's and fun in this thread. It is making the waiting for specific answers easier. Please keep up the good work !!!

17 hours ago, Deimos said:

Since reading hurts my brain I now tend to listen to other people talking about things I want to know more about.

A little brain pain just means it's having to develop new circulatory pathways for the info to be assimilated. It's good for you, shows you're learning. And in the spirit of trading rabbit holes I gift your aching brain, CONAN THE BACTERIUM. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deinococcus_radiodurans

Enjoy. Bwa ha ha ha.:P

Frosty The Lucky. 

Hmmmm, Deimos reading about Deinos, I see what you did there.

Its not so much the new pathways being made, its just that my Dyslexia makes reading a bit difficult, reading from a huge widescreen monitor is not making that any better :rolleyes:.

How nice of you, how about adding one that makes random LOUD: banging, screeching, booming, etc. noises, maybe gunshots?

As an aside, if you can find a filter that will produce REAL live ammo, gunfire I'd like to discuss anti malware. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Well my neighbor does have roosters, ducks, turkeys, goat(s), pig, and 8 dogs, most LGDs that are bred to bark for hours; on less than 2 acres.  I could work them into a filter...

Once the weather gets better I was thinking of sitting out in my yard wearing earmuffs and ear plugs and reading a book until one of the other neighbors calls the Sherriff on the barking...I can't teach in my shop with the rear roll up door open with 5 large dogs lined up against the fence barking continuously for hours.

Might suggest paying the neighbor a friendly(?) visit with a bottle opener or some simple tool and discussing the barking problem...or is the neighbor not the receptive type?  After all, the problem is directly interfering with your income.

This is "country living"; I've talked with him about the dogs many times but as I hope to be running a powerhammer in my shop soon; I'm not going to go to law over it!

As to the use of cyanide; my Daughter is a Veterinarian and has strong views on such dealings with animals and some day She will be choosing our nursing home; I hoping it won't be "Fast Turnaround Acres" a place that understands your concern about  how much will be left in the estate...

On 3/14/2021 at 7:19 PM, ThomasPowers said:

Let me find you a filter that will make the letters dance around while you try to read them...

Lol, that is what makes reading hard for me, the words just won't stop bouncing all around. So maybe the filter will counter that and make it normal for me.

I don't think it'll be very long before technology will start coming up with ways to help with if not correct dyslexia and maybe autism. Autism will probably be harder, it's so much more complex and individual. 

I'd be happy with a computer in a pair of glasses, maybe gloves to track finger motion for input. I've wanted a neural implant for more than 50 years though I'm concerned about being hacked. 

Right now tracking eye movement for input is being put to practical use and may be a useful gauge for moderating dyslexia and other vision conditions.

Frosty The Lucky.

Hacking?  But don't you want to start clogging anytime someone says "boo" to you?  It's already a concern to us insulin pump users as the "smart pumps" may be using bluetooth to send and receive data with a continuous glucose monitor and adjust your insulin based on that. (I tried it out and it was a big improvement to have automatic ramping of insulin; then the first order for supplies needed to be sent and I was told my "copay" would be US$1100.  I'm still on the old tech method...)

So the cardiologist called and we spoke a bit, He wants to implant a 2 chamber pace maker that is a passive monitor unless needed then ZZAAAAPP. I asked about welding with it, and he was sure it would be fine. I should have asked about adding an auxiliary lead/ welding stinger directly to the implant, that way it would know I was welding or chain sawing and not freak out. I think it could be a great upgrade in the pacemaker world.

He said they will download the pacemaker every night and look at what it records. Interesting...

He did give the manufacturer he was planning on implanting, so I can do some looking at their precautions.

Frosty and Thomas, I hope hacking pacemakers isn't a thing.

10 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

But don't you want to start clogging anytime someone says "boo" to you?

Wait till I get a couple pair of my custom Butt Klompen and I'll be READY and RARING to clog butt! :D

Do you recall some of the auto pilot cars getting hacked a while back? That was B A D. I don't believe anybody was injured or killed or the hackers caught. 

However, if someone in N. Korea or China wants to read my mind, it'll serve them right. 

Frosty The Lucky.