I Forge Iron

Does anyone here MIG weld with a pacemaker implanted?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could get a full set of plate mail and if I spend a bit extra I could be bullet resistant too.

A welding minion would take the fun out of it. Like I said I don't weld for a living, but tinker and fix things. I could gas weld some of the things I do, but the metal spitting glue gun is so much simpler and faster.

But Thomas, the sharks can't breathe in the air....In KY we have as many sharks as you do in NM, so I may have to move to FL to be close to sharks.

I am actually looking at Faraday t shirts right now...$89. It would be worth it if it worked for welding protection. More research to do.

I was in Malta long ago and stumbled on an armor museum. There was everything from early leather thru chain, and into plate suits. A very interesting period was the advent of muskets and firearms, some of the plate suits had big dents from early firearms, some had holes from later firearms, I guess firearm development spelled the end of fairly "light" plate armor.

It was a neat museum just for the amount of weapons and armor and the period it spanned.

There was also an armor museum in Worcester MA, Lots of really interesting goodies, a suit of armor for a dog, of course horse armor, and all the medieval weapons you need for a zombie apocalypse. 

There was plate armour used in the ACW, including a piece that had been hit with grapeshot at nearly point blank range. Some did not penetrate!   Unfortunately there was great social pressure about not wearing the kitchen stove into battle.  "Arms and Armor Annual", Vol 1

The history of explosives I recently read; went into a lot about how the various propellent powders evolved to get more power behind smaller loads. (Getting behind the K=1/2MV^2 equation.)

Many Renaissance breast plates have a dent where they were "proofed" against penetration by a pistol (they could not turn a ball from a big, armor busting musket).  sometimes the armorer did his own proofing and sometimes the customer brought his own pistol to "prove" the armor he wanted to buy.

I'm slightly skeptical of the Faraday cage tee shirt because of the large holes for neck, arms and torso.  If Mythbusters was still around this sort of testing would be up their alley, mail vs. plate vs. tee shirt vs being in a true cage and welding with waldo arms.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand." 

I have heard of that, pretty interesting people would still lug around a piece of armor when a shot to the face would be fatal.

I think the theory behind the shirt is that the EMF waves go from the origin outwards, and they dont curve or reflect of other surfaces. Also, its more of a and and and situation and less of a one hit wonder I think. 

5 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

What about the 60 year old ones?

I posted the info on hot start welders in case he wanted to buy a new one which most likely have it.  Yes, the old transformer types did not have the high frequency feature, but nevertheless ANY welder should be considered with a pacemaker.

Soldiers on the modern battlefield still have armor on the torso, a helmet for the head, safety glasses, and sometimes a groin piece. It is new hi tech wonder fiber stuff, vice a piece of metal .

The armor I had in 2006 had a front and rear trauma plate covering the heart, that would stop rifle bullets up to a certain caliber/velocity (7.62X39 maybe).  I believe the trauma plates were ceramic. The rest of the vest and helmet was good for pistol calibers and fragments, the glasses were safety glasses, so good for fragments. The arms, legs, and some of the face were not protected, but the vital organs were pretty well covered.

Without researching, I would bet most battlefield casualties are from fragments and trauma, vice direct bullet impacts.   

Edited by rustyanchor
added a tidbit.

Rusty:  The ratio of casualties caused by personal weapons (rifles, pistols, etc.) vs. those cause by crew served weapons (machine guns, artillery, bombs, mortars, etc) flipped starting in World War 1 when the technology of artillery became more "modern" and continued through WW2 and later conflicts.  That said, you still need the grunt (infantryman) with a rifle to go dig the other guy out of his hole in the ground.

Modern body armor and helmets are designed to stop fragments and lower powered projectiles such as assault weapon calibers but is not proof against higher velocities, e.g. 7.62 NATO, etc.). 

The problem has always been protection vs. weight and mobility.  You can protect against lots of things but then the protection is so heavy the person protected can't move. 

In Vietnam the extra 8-10 pounds of weight just weren't worth the protection for a grunt in the jungle.  Also, flak vest were hot and did not breath.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

10 hours ago, rustyanchor said:

Without researching, I would bet most battlefield casualties are from fragments and trauma, vice direct bullet impacts.   

Pretty good video about how Great War helmets made head injury's skyrocket. Since without the helmets the person would just kick the bucket.

On 3/12/2021 at 9:20 AM, Deimos said:

Get yourself a laser welding machine, they do not produce any EMF

A couple points here.

It's becoming really common to misuse EMF which stands for Electro Magnetic FREQUENCY. Everything produces one or another FREQUENCY of EM, take your temperature for example. I know this is nit picky but some nits need to be picked before they turn into something that bites. We spend a lot of time getting blacksmithing terminology consistent yes?

The correct term is EMR Electro Magnetic RADIATION. It's the energy that's getting loose and shining on you that is the main issue of concern in this thread. It's Frequency is important too of course but it it wasn't getting on you it wouldn't be an issue. 

The other minor point being Lasers. Isn't a  laser an emitter of HIGHLY focused coherent columnated beams of a single FREQUENCY of EM? 

The Star Trek Phaser was proposed to be a laser that changed frequency / Phase, to defeat shielding and be targetable as in "Stun" which was a frequency that interfered with the nervous system. 

There are lots of fun things you can do with lasers if your school buddy's Grandfather is not only a scientist but helped develop lasers for the gvt. and loved showing Ralph (the school buddy) how to make things. He's the only kid in jr. high who had his own ruby laser, when ruby lasers were about the only ones around and super science. It was a bread board device the size of a TV tray but it worked for how much power it developed, almost enough to pop a balloon if it were a dark color.

Frosty The Lucky.

On 3/11/2021 at 8:40 PM, rustyanchor said:

what model Hobart welder, what amperage was he welding with?

Sorry, I forgot to answer earlier. It's a Hobart Handler 187 welder and most of his welding was in the 60-70 amp range. When we both volunteered at ESSA,  if a welder or plasma cutter was being used he couldn't get within 100 feet of the machines and usually left the building. I don't know the make of pacemaker and haven't seen him since the pandemic began last march.

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

It's becoming really common to misuse EMF which stands for Electro Magnetic FREQUENCY. Everything produces one or another FREQUENCY of EM, take your temperature for example. I know this is nit picky but some nits need to be picked before they turn into something that bites. We spend a lot of time getting blacksmithing terminology consistent yes?

My bad, I translated it from Dutch, so what I meant was Electro Magnetic Field (which is what our safety organization warn about and has guidelines about). Lasers do produce a frequency (like you said, everything produces some kind of frequency), but since almost all are automated and shielded they pose almost no danger to the user (this was of course a joke, those things are at least 15K)