I Forge Iron

Charged with recreating a strange drawer pull

Hello.

Apologies if this is the wrong board for this, but I'm looking for a second opinion on this. I've been subcontracted by a woodworker who is creating a replica of an old chest. She was told the steel hardware I'm making is a few hundred years old, but looking at it, I'm a little... confused? I'm looking at this, and the pieces that hold the actual handle aren't the usual staple-type ones I'm used to seeing for traditional forgings. They are weirdly cone-like, and almost look like they are welded on (could be braised, I don't really know). They're not even the same size which makes it more weird. Has anyone seen anything like this? Or could it just be something far younger than the initial buyer is aware of? All I have are some low quality pictures, but here is the most useful one:

IMG_90721.thumb.jpg.45aa893ea97c4b9ff0e06535794d895a.jpg

As for actually fabricating those pieces, all I can really think of is to drill a hole in a block of steel and grind/file it into that shape. Maybe even do it with a tenon sticking out of one size for a more traditional joint.

So yeah. Anyone recognize this? Or have any thoughts on its origin? Seems like a weird one but maybe I'm way off here, not the kind of work I typically do.

Thanks!

My guess is 20th century.  How are the loops that hold the handle attached to the back plate?  The photo is unclear but they almost look arc welded.

If you can unscrew the plate there may be a maker's mark on the back.

Also, it could be a more modern handle attached to an older chest.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

I agree with others here, you need one off the chest and a little more inspection to know more on how they were made. Better quality 360 pictures for most of us to be able to help. 

From what I can see it almost does look like the bullet shape handle keepers are arc welded or soldered/brazed on. Possibly made that way or repaired at some point? 

I'd say you need the best looking example in hand to determine how best to make the matching replacement. 

Hah, yes thank you all for confirming my suspicions. I have a few other angle images but they are more useless than that. I don't think the client wants a 100% accurate match, but rather just something that's really close (fortunately). At least the woodworker doing the box seemed to think so.

And yes to clarify I've made handles before, I've just never had to recreate one based on some crappy pictures. I think it will work out fine in that regard.

However I will inquire about getting some better information, and I will pass on what I know up the ladder. If anything comes of it I'll post here again

Depending on how heavy the chest may be and how often it will be lifted, I have always like the kind of handle that has short ends which stick out on the outside of the loops and lock the handles in a horizontal position when the chest is picked up.  That keeps knuckles from getting pinched.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand." 

1 hour ago, George N. M. said:

I have always like the kind of handle that has short ends which stick out on the outside of the loops and lock the handles in a horizontal position when the chest is picked up.  That keeps knuckles from getting pinched.

Yeah I was thinking about that too, the few sets I've made have had just that.

51 minutes ago, Daswulf said:

Why not talk them into a full set of old style handles then? Everything would be congruent and you can use a design you know fits the period.. 

Honestly I might. Sometimes a client just wants what they want, so I'm kind of hoping that is.. not the case here. We shall see

To me those look like the base was made on a punch press, Slide the strip of steel in the die, whomp---maybe even cut them to length at the same time.  If the remaining ones are *exact* then that's more likely than them being centuries old.  Of course the antique field is rife with false claims and faking.  (See the recent post with the anvil from a French Castle with Sword Cuts on the base!  "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary Proofs!")  When asked to make *exact Replicas", I try to stamp the current date on them on the back where it will be covered. For a blade I once inlet the date on the inside of the handle slab and filled it with wire solder so it would show up if x-rayed---a common method used when examining the authenticity of something.

13 hours ago, Irondragon ForgeClay Works said:

punched from the back

No matter how old they are and if this is what the client wants and you want to make them with traditional techniques, then Iron dragon nails it. 

Also, if you look at the right side, it looks like the pointy end is part of the handle with a half round piece that holds it in place. You can almost see the half round on the other side. I've made similar half round keepers. The ends would have a small square or round tenon filed on the ends. 

So, without having an actual piece to look at, here's two different ways to make this piece.

Lol, I'd champfer the edges of the backplate.