I Forge Iron

How do you grind the bevel on a recurve blade?

White Nomad

8 hours ago, Irondragon ForgeClay Works said:

If you don't have a belt grinder, a 4 1/2 or 3 inch angle grinder will do it. Just have to go slow and be very careful of the rotation of the wheel so it doesn't grab the edge of the blade ( which is firmly held in a vise).

If you have a rotating vise it will make it easier and firmly locking your elbows to your side and using your hips to move the angle grinder instead of your arms will make the grinds more consistent. Angle grinders are the only powered grinding tools I currently own.  I stopped using the large angle grinder and switched to a 4 1/2in grinder and use smaller wheels whenever possible. 

Pnut

Hello:

If you are referrig to a blade like he one below I just finished today.. I used a 14" dia serrated wheel on my frankengrinder running at approx 7200 fpm.. Just go slow and work the curve and recurve..Takes a little bit or practice but not all that troublesome once you get the "feel"..

JPH 

DSC06599A.jpg

DSC06610A.jpg

No, not a blade like that, I mean instead of the blade being flat or curve away from you before the tip, the blade bends inwards towards you before the tip, I'll upload a pic when I get home and if I remember. 

I ended up using a really short sen knife and files and just creating the bevel like that, and then used a curved sharpening stone and ceramic to sharpen. 

I recently made a few karambits and ended up using a 2 inch wheel on the belt grinder, slow speed, and a steady hand to sharpen them.  To grind the bevels I used a 6 inch wheel.  There is definitely a learning curve, and it is harder IMO to get a good flat bevel because you have to rotate the blade to try to keep the spot being ground in line with the belt travel as you grind.  I'd recommend trying a mild steel blank first to get the technique down before moving to a blade you want to keep or sell.

• 1 month later...