I Forge Iron

Finally finished the forge.

Whiskeysup

Two years after starting the build, a new granddaughter, tearing down the old and building a new house I finally got the forge done and started making tools. Making lots of mistakes but am learning a lot. Didn't know how easy it is to burn steel. Made a hot cut hardy from a truck axle, boy that was some hard steel. Ugly as xxxx but it sure cuts! Feel free to comment. Still figuring out the best placement of everything, so far it's working out real well, having lots of fun.

20210307_130631.jpg

20210307_130716.jpg

Looking good there, Whiskey, and congrats on the new GD. Mine was just baptized today, we watched on Youtube. The most important placement is the forge/anvil/ vise triangle, everything else is a bit more peripheral. I have my anvil set so I just step to the right with a side- step and I'm beating metal. You  could set it 90 degrees from where it is, just around the corner from your blower so you just side step to the left. Try different positions and angles and figure what suits you. The other thing that has been a big help for me is to have a small rolly- cart near by but out of the way for holding any tools that will be immediately used- punches, chisels, etc. Mine is maybe 12 x 24 or so, but it is a nice landing spot.  Good that your hammer rack is close. As you work you will figure this out. Have fun.

Steve