I Forge Iron

Power hacksaw coolant issues.

I have a Racine 14” power hacksaw and I attempted to connect the coolant but there’s no flow. Pump is clean and in good conditions and lines are clear. I’m trying to use water for testing and the pump is a gear pump. Does it need to be oil? Cutting fluid isn’t that much thicker than water though 

That thing is hopeless. By the way, what do you want for it?

HAHA

Does the pump require priming? Are the seals if any in good condition. Pretty sure you can get an auxiliary pump from supply house and run it (low voltage) independently if the original setup keeps giving you problems.

The saw is running the correct direction. So the gear pump should be too. 

Haha I think I’ll keep it. I paid 300 a few months back and it’s far outperforming my 4x6 bandsaw 

Supposedly gear pumps doesn’t need to be primed. But I also tried that to no avail. I may have to buy a separate pump but it would be cool to keep the original. Maybe I’ll see about getting some other belt driven pump and hook it up 

Turns out all it was, was a little metal bb looking ball of rust. When I blew air though it would move and let air through. And than settle back. Water wasn’t able to push past it. Got it out then the pump worked fantastically. It shot coolant a good 3 feet so I had to shorten the pipe so that it didn’t go so far. The gear pump was fine. So I took it apart for nothing pretty much haha. 

hmmmm, the saws I worked with did not really have down feed pressure. The cylinder just acted as a counter to gravity. So gravity would pull on the saw which would drain fluid from the cylinder.

Can you check what the state of the fluid in the cylinder is? And if you are able to drain the hydraulic fluid, if you leave all the hoses/pipes of the cylinder can you move the saw up and down without problems? What kind of valves are they?