I Forge Iron

Cable splicing vises

TWISTEDWILLOW

Here’s another one of my junkyard finds, i guesstimate it to be 175 to 200 pounds but my wife has banned me from using her bathroom scale to weigh dirty rusty junk I drag home so I’ll have to get a weight later for it. The searching I’ve done so far has led me to it being a wire rope eye splicing vise. The company that made it turned out to have a pretty interesting history but I was unable to find any info on when it was made. It has three jaws and two move at the same time. I haven’t found a use for this thing yet but it was weird and I didn’t already have one so of course I needed it. 

E8595889-DFE8-4518-8F9F-028F49E2C9C6.jpeg

E13C8CF7-EC25-4998-B244-B6637AEF1CDF.jpeg

C9D7BB78-4796-45F8-94BC-1B62E0EEB505.jpeg

80FA1978-A1A7-4E7F-844D-B4E03F90AF85.jpeg

A522181C-D487-4229-B32B-3B9BCE4B3395.jpeg

07AD3DFB-EFED-42F6-A9B4-ADF907A59BAE.jpeg

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps a suspension bridge cable splice tool?  Not for a large one but a lot more smaller suspension bridges were built---besides the Brooklyn Bridge...   Just clean it thoroughly and make sure your tetanus vaccination is up to date!

(I recognized the name!)

Teaching it to open your beer? A blacksmith could make up some good historic tales about one of those for visitors. A worthy acquisition just for that. Ah HAH it's a "Catalonian cuticle crastifier!"

Frosty The Lucky.

10 minutes ago, BillyBones said:

people who like PBR.:lol:

It's become kinda trendy to drink PBR. I see lots of wannabe punk rockers drinking it. I guess they think it gives them some sort of working class credibility or they feel like "real" gutter punks.  Weird but true. 

Pnut

Lol that’s a good idea frosty, Thomas don’t worry I keep up to date on my tetanus shots because every were I go I’m digging through junk piles, billy and pnut it’s not that I actually buy pbr on the regular it was just the cheapest beer I could find that day lol. 

Doing more research in my area I found where a cable suspension bridge used to pass over the baron fork creek almost a century ago. No real way to tell if this vise was used for that project but that’s the only cable bridge I can find that was around around here.  We have some 100 year old bridges still standing an in use but they aren’t cable. 

• 1 year later...
On 3/2/2021 at 10:31 AM, ThomasPowers said:

Perhaps a suspension bridge cable splice tool?  Not for a large one but a lot more smaller suspension bridges were built---besides the Brooklyn Bridge...   Just clean it thoroughly and make sure your tetanus vaccination is up to date!

(I recognized the name!)

Will you sell this vise? Please call me at (phone number removed per TOS). I am interested in buying the vise.

Edited by Mod30
Remove phone number

And thanks for bringing this thread current Larry. I read back a ways to see what we were talking about and need a little clarification about PBR and Cred. Do I lose cred for liking PBR?:huh: It's one of the few American "love in a canoe" beers I like. I don't drink much and generally prefer a dark brew, beer or ale. But an ice cold PBR on a hot day goes nice. 

Frosty The Lucky.

a coupla 3 things-----great vise !! I think I now need one too......Roebling and son---worth tracking down a copy of David McCulloughs---THE GREAT BRIDGE------one of my favorite reads---PBR !!!!-----on my shopping list......

Lol, I forgot about this thread,

I’m not picky about beer an I don’t really have a designated one that I buy, just whatever the cheapest beer is where ever I’m shopping at the time, an PBR just happened to be the winner that day! Sometimes it’s rolling rock or Frio just whatever else is cheap lol,

On 3/25/2022 at 10:32 AM, Larry Postelwait said:

Will you sell this vise?

Larry, 

first off howdy from eastern Oklahoma and welcome to the forum!

if you plan to stick around You might wanna update your profile location so we got a general idea of yer whereabouts!

If your close to me your welcome to come to the shop anytime! 

im not sure what your interest is in that big hunk a metal? Are you planning on splicing some giant steel cable here soon? :huh: If so I’ve also got some big marlin spikes that would help! 

that vise is massive and weighs a ton! Last time I moved it I used the tractor!, so I promise mailing it to you in a flat rate box is definitely out of the question! It would have to go on a flat rate pallet?

Or even better,a flat rate pickup truck! :lol:

yt12,

thanks! I’ll have to check that book out it sounds interesting! 

as far as finding another one of these vise though I’m not sure how many Mr Robling made or still exist? but I’m sure there are probably other companies that made them or make them currently that you could add to your tool collection!

The cheapest beer available.<_< Ahhh the typical American beer connniosseur. (Yes I looked the spelling up!) Brew one beer and make a 6 pack out of it and consumers want a LITE version!:o 

I remember when Coors wasn't available many places they just couldn't produce it fast enough but it was sure popular in S. Cal. It was so diluted it would actually quench your thirst, there was more than enough water to metabolize the alcohol and hydrate you. Coors lite . . . LITE!:wacko:

American beer is why I drink iced tea or water! Cold coffee even.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty,

I’ll drink the good stuff if your buyin! :lol:
the best tasting beer is free beer! Lol

when I was younger an in the navy before a wife, kid, business ect…

(I had three hots an a cot! and a paycheck burning a hole in my pocket!) lol B)

I used to love trying local beers everywhere I went! 

I used to love goin to beer gardens an trying out micro brews and Other beers from around the world,

occasionally I’ll still spring for something top shelf but I no longer go to the bars an beer gardens, im kinda boring now:unsure:

I just mostly buy the cheap stuff because it doesn’t matter how much ya spend it’s all gonna go to the same place lol :lol:

Is brewing your own too expensive? It's not difficult and the necessary tools are pretty cheap. You don't need bottles and a capper if you use mason jars, they'll take the pressure easy enough. A hydrometer is pretty necessary unless you have enough experience to be able to tell by taste. 

16oz. Mason jars are cheap by the case and you see them at yard, garage, etc. sales for give away prices. A small plastic barrel or new plastic trash can with lid are cheap. After that, clean fresh water, a can of malt extract, sugar and beer or ale yeast. In a couple weeks you have 30 GALLONS of home brewed beer you could dilute into 450 gallons of American strength/flavor beer, double that if you like LITE. 

You can malt your own grain if you get tired of barley, heck you can use Quaker Oats or old stale bread if you really want to go cheap. However last I looked there were lots of different malted grain extracts and that saves a lot of hassle like malting and boiling. ONE 30 gal batch of home brew was enough to keep a small community buzzed more than long enough for the next batch to get bottled. 

Why would I buy good beer for someone who's main priority is cheapest available? I could probably slip a LITTLE bitter apple in old diluted ice tea, carbonate it and you wouldn't notice the difference. The Mods will be happy I didn't mention carbonating diluted horse urine as a better substitute but that's an old OLD term for American beer.

Oh well, no accounting for taste. Enjoy your beer Billy at least your liver is safe.

Frosty The Lucky.

Lol, I agree commercially brewed an sold American beer is pretty lite compared to a lot of stuff I’ve tried in my travels, but I will say micro breweries I’ve tried across the this country tend to be quite a bit stouter an have a really good taste! 

I’ve never looked into brewing my own I might have to check into that one of these days,

As far as buying me a beer, you don’t have too but it would make you the greatest Alaskan to have ever lived!

Lol okay maybe not that, but it would definitely make you a pretty nice guy!

If we ever cross paths I'll be proud to buy you a half rack of the cheapest sale beer I can find. :lol:

Make that something good, I'd have to have one with you to be sociable.

Home brewing is really easy, we (humans) have been refining the techniques since before recorded history. The numerous features of Gobekli Tepe, the oldest known stone structures, are all the beer vats. Evidence seems to indicate learning to brew beer led to religion, agriculture and civilization. The structures being excavated at the Pyramid construction city seem to be mostly beer pubs. 

Good stuff beer and REALLY easy to make.

Frosty The Lucky.

3 hours ago, Frosty said:

I remember when Coors wasn't available many places they just couldn't produce it fast enough

I remember when Yuengling was considered an import when it is made in Pennsylvania. Couldn't even find it in neighboring states.  An old friend put me onto it and it has been my go to since. They have since expanded more thanks to my contributions. Lol..

Haven't tried brewing beer yet but I have made hard cider. 

Cider is one of the easier things to make and doesn't require as much equipment as beer brewing. Probably similar to wine making. 

Yuengling has been one of the last breweries to raise their prices due to current events from what I've heard from the guys at the beer distributer. 

Beer Makes You Smarter

A herd of buffalo can move only as fast as the slowest buffalo. When the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and the weakest ones at the back that are killed first.

This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular culling of the weakest members.

In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells.

Excessive intake of alcohol, we all know, kill’s brain cells, but naturally it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine.

That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers.