I Forge Iron

Hand forging a wrought iron church windows anvil with a forge welded on steel face

• 2 weeks later...

A pritchel hole is a hole for a pritchel, which is a tool used by farriers to size the holes in horseshoes.
This hole is located near the hardie hole and small (in most cases).

Studying German and other European anvils, the round hole is not layed out in the same location, nor does it even have the same name, nor the same specific function as the pritchel hole on a London Pattern anvil.
The round hole is not made square to save costs. And often the round hole is seen as a round "hardie" hole and used so.

Calling every round hole a pritchel hole is like calling a straight peen hammer a cross peen hammer, "cuz it's got a peen and flat face". 
They have similarities, but are definitely not the same. Just like not every round hole in anvil face is a pritchle hole, despite similarities. 

What's the round hole called on a German and other European anvils?  I've got an Italian-pattern Acciaio and the round hole is in the horn, stepped about 5mm down from the face & really doesn't seem like it would give good full-circle support for punching.  It seems best used for hold-down, but maybe with the step it would help keep a round-shanked hardy oriented. 

They are called a "round hole" in the various languages. 

What you describe is a problem with cheaper anvils often but as well with some higher quality brands. They make "anvils" or rather, anvil shaped objects. But they have not at all studied anvils and what will benefit a design. 
If they knew what a round hole is often used for and can be used for, they would never have placed it in such an awkward location. 
Anvils were made with functionality in mind and the various blacksmithing techniques were considered. 
That is however not always the case anymore unfortunately. 

Edited by Mod30
Remove excessive quote.

I've had one of those little chinese anvils for a while and that hole is nearly useless. I don't think I've figured out a way to put it into service save for shearing the biscuit out of one hole I punched that actually fit over the hole without the step up to the face getting in the way. I use the hardy hole or bolsters. 

Pnut

Sorry. I like your videos by the way, but this one has tons of adds for me. I thought Youtube content creators chose how many adds to run which is why I said something.

Here is a screenshot of all the adds that are marked with yellow boxes at the bottom. For me at least they were 2-3 minutes each and did not allow me to skip them. That is nearly an additional 30 minutes just in adds with 16 adds now shown on the video for me. Maybe I am getting more adds for some reason. Wonder why others aren't getting them?

Screenshot 20.png

I love those little anvils and you really put a beating on them. Well built for sure. 

You should make a 10 pound bench anvil with all the features you would want as a professional.

Id be curious to see what it would look like.