I Forge Iron

What to do about the holes when forge welding small bars together to make larger bars

I have about 30 pounds of WI. Most of it 3/4” round bar 8” long. But about 1/4 of it is stuff like that in the pic below. It is the frame the bars were mounted in. 

The half moon bit where a bar once was isn’t a problem. What I am not sure about is what to do about the small holes.  Forge a plug?  Split the bar down to the hole and then forge weld the split closed?  I think going with a plug is probably best.

4361A22F-DDB3-4D98-A67B-A87467ECA309.jpeg

Rojo. I haven’t decided yet. I used 8 pieces of the round bar to make the bodies for two hammers. The first I was able to get the faces welded on, but then lost it. I expect it will show up some day in some hole or buried next to a tree. My grandkids will sometimes be attracted to some of my tongs, punches, or random bits of scrap and carry it away to play with. The second I still have. The weld has refused to take three times now. The third time it popped off and landed in the snow. I will have to cut another piece of spring steel for a forth try because it cracked. 

As for the rest, certainly an axe, hatchet, or hawk at some point, but nothing substantial. 

Anvil. Thanks. I may end up drifting the holes square. It is easier forging WI square than it is round, especially as thin as I would have to for some of the holes.

Trouble plugging the holes in him? 

My Father complained about his younger boy: losing, breaking, taking things apart, etc. too. 

I wish I could use the excuse for losing and breaking stuff, I guess there are reasons to have younguns around. 

Frosty The Lucky.