I Forge Iron

Benchtop lathe suggestions?

twigg

I'm evaluating whether getting a small lathe is a good decision for me or not. I've really enjoyed making mini burners, and one day I'd like to get into model steam engines. I have <10hrs of experience using a metal lathe before.

My biggest constraint here is that I need to be able to carry this hypothetical lathe up and down a flight of stairs by myself. It's not negotiable for me right now.

Here are the types of jobs I have in mind for a lathe:

• cutting an internal taper (1:12) on a piece of 3/4"(D) x 1-1/2"(L) schedule 40 stainless pipe
  • drilling 25/64" holes in a malleable iron plumbing tee (at biggest, a 1/2" x 1/2" tee)
  • turning ODs and IDs on various malleable iron and stainless burner parts, with ODs never exceeding 1-1/2"

Does a lathe that small exist that's rigid enough to make those cuts? Does anyone have experience using a lathe in this size range?

Some of the lathes I've considered so far include the Unimat SL DB 200, the Craftsman AA109, the Taig 8" lathe (with speed control, but no DRO), and the 8" Sherline lathe. Anyone used one of these or something similar before?

Well, Twigg, I'll take a stab at helping you.  First off, I have no experience as far as the newer make/models of lathes that you mentioned other than a passing interest several years ago, but I believe they would do what you desire.  With much less frustration than would come with one of the older units.  I used to rebuild smaller Craftsman, Atlas, Southbend and other lathes for a hobby, but they can be a pain.  Some of them are crazy small, to the point of being "cute".  I do know with the newer ones you can buy any attachment or accessories your heart may desire.  If you don't make them yourself.  A machine tool can open up new possibilities but beware:  It can be as addicting as blacksmithing if you are not vigilant!  :)

I hear ya NoDebt. I was leaning towards a newer machine because a lot of the recommended repairs and modifications to the old machines are over my head. Your advice helps, thanks!

swedefiddle, I hear you, but I don't have a drill with a chuck big enough to turn the parts I listed. Not to mention, my drill press has about a 1/16" of quill slop at full extent when fully retracted. I shudder to think what might happen if I used it as a lathe for 1" OD parts. I like my front teeth :D Not to mention, the quill slop is probably this bad because I used that drill press to turn parts with a file in the past. That drill has suffered my antics for long enough

• 3 weeks later...

After 2 weeks of agonizing over the details, I've finally made my decision: I'm getting myself a taig 1017 with the 5C headstock (I bought a chuck arbor and 4 jaw as well). The order is in! Now the hard part will be getting to sleep at night with all these butterflies in my stomach :wub:

21 hours ago, twigg said:

After 2 weeks of agonizing over the details, I've finally made my decision: I'm getting myself a taig 1017 with the 5C headstock (I bought a chuck arbor and 4 jaw as well). The order is in! Now the hard part will be getting to sleep at night with all these butterflies in my stomach :wub:

Stock up on things like aluminum and red metal rounds to start. I have a 9x19 and keep on thinking I’d have more fun with a taig. :) Start slow, be ready for excitement, dismiss disappointment and just push it safely to its limits! Then show off, obviously. Lol

-J