I Forge Iron

Champion 407 questions

4oclockshadow

Hello.  I have acquired an old Champion 407 forge and am restoring it, but oddly enough the forge has a circular firepot and a dish of sorts that sits in the middle of the firepot.  I have not seen this anywhere on the net, including the Champion Forge History group.  I am pretty sure the dish in the photo is a Champion item as it is heavy cast and has bolt holes that match up with the firepot and vent/clinker breaker underneath (see photo).  

The question I have is if the firepot is supposed to be lined with clay-sand or refractory cement to the level of the dish OR should I just leave the dish out??

The other option--working with coal/coke under this dish does not make much sense.  

I really hope someone can sort this out as I would really like to finish this thing and start using it.  Thx.

IMG_1557.jpeg

IMG_2980.jpeg

IMG_4197.jpeg

IMG_4198.jpeg

Edited by 4oclockshadow
cast, not forged for the dish

I've never seen that style before but it certainly looks workable. My inclination would be to put clay in the firepot, and pack it pretty firm. Then create my ducks nest from the center part with the clinker breaker out over the rest of the table with the clay. Maybe put a perimeter of thin firebrick  on the table and blend from the ducks nest up to the brick. You don't need to get real fancy with refractory clay or cement- just dig some clay from the back yard or local creek bank. Just get it damp and form it into place and pack it in with a mallet or chunk of 2x4. Un scented unused kitty litter is great for this if you don't have local clay. Again, don't get it too wet or it will crack as it dries. Hope this helps.

Steve