I Forge Iron

Building the welded fire pot forge

Salem IronWorks

after using the box of dirt for a while I have decided that I want to upgrade my forge and decided to seek some guidance from the community. I have a few questions

How big does my fire pot need to be, length, width, and depth.

What size table do I need to build for the fire pot.

how thick of material do I need to make my fire pot out of.

I have been eyeballing several deceased barbacue grills.  People are always getting the latest and greatest $1000 grill and then giving away a stainless $500 grill.  A buddy gave me an all metal one many years ago.  The Bob Patrick Firepot idea could be followed and applied to an all metal grill.  Slabs of firebrick could be angled.  The slit could be cut to the exact dimensions advised in firebrick.  Sch. 40 pipe with elbow to eliminate welding with ash dump.  The 3inch tuyere pipe routed to 4" hvac 100cfm booster fan with variable settings.  The short sides of the grill carved out so long material can be inserted from both sides.  The grill lid could be carved out on right and left edges with half circles to enclose heat better but still be able to eyeball material.  A sand mix with fireclay used under the firebrick. This would require no welding.  Just brainstorming.  

The 2'x3' table advise is sound for general forging. Been using a table just under that size for years. I like my fire pot around 2-3"deep and 8-9" diameter. (I use a brake rotor, rear type with the drum style e-brakes) has worked great for me for years. 

Can always build up the fire but for small stuff and too deep a fire pot you'll burn up a lot of fuel.