I Forge Iron

Help Identify this Anvil pls

MattyD

I am looking to buy it, and don't have access to it without a bit of a drive, so seeing if the trip is worth it.   I am about convinced it is a PW.  The face may be a bit wavy by what I can discern from the pics, what would be a reasonable price on it assuming it's post 1910.  I hear a typical $3 to $5 a lb.  likely a 308 lbs.  It looks like the edges were reworked

The only way to see if it's a good buy will be to inspect it in person and do a ring & rebound test. To even give a wild guess we would have to know where in the world it is located. The edges would be a concern, if they have been welded up without knowing how to repair anvils, it would concern me because that usually does more harm than good, the HAZ usually de-laminates the face.

Here in anvil poor New Mexico, USA, I recently sold a 248# Peter Wright for US$4 a pound, well US$1000.  It had the edge damaged associated with use in the mines out there and no repairs.  When folks asked if that was a hard price I told them, "Nope I'd be happy to go to $5 a pound!"

It does look like it has some edge repair; for me that affects the price more than if the edges were left "as is"  as IDFCW mentions you don't know if it was done right or if they will break off worse in the HAZ area.  Do the ring and bounce tests---or have the owner do them over the phone for you if possible.

If it's a reasonable price for the area; it's probably already gone if it was publicly listed.

The other option is a Fisher about the same weight with obvious chips on the edge, and a crack from edge to hardy hole, though it's face is flat and has otherwise clean sharp edges.  Both sellers asking the same amount.  Preference wise I could go either way, just want the best value for my money.

Fisher's are *quiet* anvils if you are living in the city or suburbia that may be a consideration. HOWEVER  if it has a crack reaching the hardy hole then failure at that point is likely depending on how YOU are going to be using it!

Flatness of the face is not that important, a slight dip from use can actually be a feature.

Best Value from our advice is to give us all the details of the questions so we can make targeted answers! 

55 minutes ago, MattyD said:

flat and has otherwise clean sharp edges

I can almost guarantee with clean sharp edges the face has been milled down, or the edges have been welded up and ground. Either way it would reduce the amount I would be willing to pay, unless the anvil had been put away for a long time and was in like new condition. There again in person testing would be required.