I Forge Iron

Locating steel stock in suburban Chicagoland

I am having a heck of a time locating decently priced steel stock in west suburban Chicago. I’m in the Aurora, IL area of the US. The cheapest place I have found so far wants $36 for a 20’ stick of 1/2”. Does anyone have advice on a supplier that is decently priced in the area?  I have tried the scrapyards in the area and it’s mostly cars and tubing. 

Thanks!

Mark

I found five different suppliers in the first result when I searched steel supplier in Aurora Illinois area. Have you checked them all? $36 is a little expensive for sure. It's more than I pay for 1018 and I have to buy it cold finished. 

If that truly is the cheapest you can find it will still be cheaper than buying it online and waaay cheaper than a box store. Good luck.

Pnut

Hey Mark, this is also Mark, from the Lombard area. I just got started back up about a month ago and went to Metal Supermarkets in Bolingbrook for my first run.  I doubt they are the cheapest but I got what I needed.  

I am also looking for alternatives as well as decent scrap yards so please let me know what you find and I'll do the same.

I'm a couple of hours south of you guys. But Sligo Steel here in Decatur sells mild stock for what I felt were reasonable prices. I picked up 20ft each of 1/2" round/sq and 1/4 x 3/4 and 1/4 x 1 flat.  I got all 4 pieces (and they cut them to my size request of 4 ft pieces for free) for less than $80.

6 hours ago, pnut said:

I found five different suppliers in the first result when I searched steel supplier in Aurora Illinois area. Have you checked them all? $36 is a little expensive for sure. It's more than I pay for 1018 and I have to buy it cold finished. 

If that truly is the cheapest you can find it will still be cheaper than buying it online and waaay cheaper than a box store. Good luck.

Pnut

Yes, I have checked them all. The prices in this area for the steel suppliers seem to be as bad as going to farm and fleet 

Mark from Lombard,

Farm and Fleet has a 20% off sale on steel  right now if you are looking for smaller amounts is a size stock. They arnt bad for a box store (still too high) but for buying a single 3’ bar they arnt bad. Especially with 20% off.