I Forge Iron

Edge steel for a 100+ lb axe?

OK, so I'm making sort of a novelty project: world's heaviest thor's axe, Stormbreaker. This thing will weigh well over 100 pounds, probably closer to 130-150. I'm making it with a proper hardenable edge and striking face, just because why not, may as well make it functional in case I find someone really strong to wield it. The bevel angle on this is quite wide and obviously It's not going to be that sharp, the sheer force of this thing coming down would probably destroy any regular high carbon knife steel. Michael Cthulhu, who makes ridiculously large knives and swords like this on youtube, uses hardox AR steel for his blades. Just wondering if that would be the best option for this, as it's extremely tough and abrasion resistant. Hardox 600 can also reach a fairly high rockwell and has the same carbon content as 1045, which a lot of axes are made from. IO'm venturing into unknown territory and none of my know how on knife and sword steels will help me here. 

Yup! I don't much care if anyone beats it later, it's just fun to doing this. It's also going to be a project to improve my fabrication skills, lots and lots of pieces going into this, tons of welding, and tons of thinking going into putting this thing together. I would love if someone came along and beat it, it makes a fun competition. I'm just concerned with the type o steel I'm going to use to make a good edge for this monster.

11 hours ago, Levi Prince said:

why not, may as well make it functional

Axe specification of 100lbs or more and functional, are mutually exclusive. You'd need to reinforce a wall to hang it even. Worrying about using a good axe steel is like buying heat shield material to paint a Revel model space capsule. Pointless.

I recall watching some of giant sword Mike's youtube videos and IIRC about every 3rd. or 4th. bent, broke or chipped dinner plate size pieces. 

Frosty The Lucky.