I Forge Iron

Coil spring question

Andrew C

As you should be able to find an improvised anvil for free, you mean you don't have the time right now; quite understandable. 

I get improvised anvils for 20 cents a pound at the local scrap yard as I can't go scrounging right now for free ones (High Risk.) I just bought an 80 pound one last Saturday so US$16 and it's medium carbon steel to boot!   The improvised anvil thread has a lot of great ideas in it.  Have you read it?

Next time leave a piece in the fire till it starts hissing and sparkling. It's too hot and burning, next time stop a LITTLE sooner. Once it hits clear air it'll spark again but you're closer. a little sooner next time, and you'll sneak up on it like I did. ;)

Don't get hug up on the shape and you'll discover the world is positively strewn with anvils. Bull dozers are made of anvils as are most pieces of heavy equipment. RR rail is only one common anvil, most effective if mounted on end.

My favorite improvised anvils are Fork lift tines and big truck or rail car axles. Mounted on end or as vertically as possible. Thomas has posted some excellent forklift tine anvil advice and pics. The improvised anvil thread is loaded with great anvils.

Remember anvil is NOT a shape, it's a heavy thing you use to hammer other things on. PERIOD.

They're everywhere, you only need more anvil face than the size of your hammer, flattening and straightening projects works well on end grain wood blocks, I have a couple birch blocks, one tall for fine work the other lower and wide for heavier work. A wooden mallet on a wood anvil doesn't mark up the work, a little practice and you can preserve texture no sweat. 

When You have a moment stop in at the local heavy duty shop with a box of doughnuts and ask if they have any BIG chunks of steel in the scrap bin. Axles, forklift tines, hitches, shafts, scarifiers, all sorts of BIG steel on heavy equipment you know. Big truck shops don't have as many options but there are plenty. Heck the secretary might take a shine to you and turn you onto the old Peter Wright she's been tripping over in the back room.

You just never know, they're out there just keep your eyes open and take a moment when you can. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Mr. Frosty  san,

Could you please, expand on  "heavy duty shop".

A definition would prove to be very useful for me and, perhaps, some other folks.

Also some mentioned examples would be very appreciated.

Thanks,

Sometime clueless,

SLAG.

17 hours ago, SLAG said:

Could you please, expand on  "heavy duty shop".

Oops, I forgot not everybody would know that the state equipment repair divided vehicles and equipment into light duty, pickups, autos, etc. and heavy duty, dump trucks, road graders and the like.

"Heavy duty equipment" would have been more clear, my bad.

Thanks for catching that Slag. Sometimes I forget people only know what I say, not what I'm thinking when I write.

Frosty The Lucky.

On 2/17/2021 at 3:16 PM, Irondragon ForgeClay Works said:

Unless one has a power hammer which makes quick work of drawing out coil springs.

While I suppose it's possible that the original poster has a power hammer, I figured the lack of a decent hand hammer, and anvil for working on salvaged materials suggested that we were helping an individual without power driven forging capacity.