I Forge Iron

identify Champion blower and forge blower

bbaley

Hello!

Is there a definative source for identifying Champion Blower and Forge equipment?

I looked on antique equipment site and a few others but havent found this exact blower yet I just acquired.

I was hoping there was an equivalent site like the Disstonian institute for handsaw nerds, but no luck.

it has no model markings (400, etc) just the brand....

The pictures did not work from my phone... so here they are.

It looks like someone drilled holes in the side ?
I did look at the old catalog... the pictures don't make it easy to identify.
The lack of model # and the holes in the side made me wonder...  based on where the holes are I can't imagine they are anything other than some farmer performing a little "ingenuity" on them ?

It is in seemingly great operating condition, although the (what I assume to be) bronze bushing has a tiny bit of slop to it, but very little backlash at all overall. The gears are in great condition though...

Anyway, I plan to use it, just curious what it was originally.

20210108_154103.jpg

20210108_154135.jpg

20210108_154151.jpg

My guess is it was on a  a 135 or 136 Geared Bench forge because of the integrated Tuyere/ash dump ?
I am not knowledgeable in coal forges, my apologies.

blower.jpg

OK to me that looks like an ash dump at one end and with the feet I would hazard a guess that that went to a small benchtop forge originally. The open area went to the tuyere, the feet bolted to the bottom of the cast iron forge and it basically "worked" upside down.

The 3 holes may have been retrofitted so it could be attached to a stand.  Looks small with the stuff in the background.

I'd look at the small bench top forges in the old catalogs.

Picture issues are generally that the pictures are too large and need to be resized down to take up fewer bits.  Often just cropping them to what is important will work; otherwise you need to reduce the size/clarity of the picture.

thanks all for the help! I think I might try to recreate a 135-ish type with legs/stand. albeit sans the cast iron (although based on the small size I could probably find a really big cast iron skillet?). or just weld up a super thick facsimile...  I kinda of like the style of the 135 with legs in the catalog, and it matches what I would use it for, light use, occasionally...

A brake rotor would work for a fire pot. Good type is a rear rotor that has the drum style e brake. Lip of the rotor is usually thinner and the "pot" area is usually large enough. Ideally I like the "pot" of the rotor to be 2"-3" deep and 8"-9" round. 

14 hours ago, Daswulf said:

A brake rotor would work for a fire pot. Good type is a rear rotor that has the drum style e brake. Lip of the rotor is usually thinner and the "pot" area is usually large enough. Ideally I like the "pot" of the rotor to be 2"-3" deep and 8"-9" round. 

Ok yes - I think I saw a plan for brake rotor forge on AngelFire or somewhere... I will check into that

No need to get fancy, I cut a hole in a sheet steel forge table the drum or rotor can slip into and hang on the rim. I connected my tuyere with a couple screws through the lug holes. The air supply is semi exhaust pipe, 3" dia for the vertical section and 2" for the horizontal run from the blower. The 2" Ts in to the 3" about 2" below the fire pot and connects with a 14 ga flange and a couple screws. The vertical section below the T is longer to act as the ash trap. Anything falling through the air grate falls below the air supply and doesn't blow back up into the fire.

The ash dump is a semi exhaust flap cap. They are available to fit specific exhaust stacks and just clamp on, I got a 3" cap ad clamped it on upside down to the ash trap. The counter weight keeps it closed but you can reach under with tongs, hammer, piece of stock, anything that reaches and flip it open and dump the ash. I keep a bucket with a few inches of water under it. A back fire just opens the dump and cleans the tuyere rather than blowing coals out of your forge.

I'm really pleased with this air supply, cheap, easy and effective.

Frosty The Lucky.