I Forge Iron

Building forge hood

It is not going to roof because iam afraid I could cause building to be set on fire I did it like this.

To be honest its not best,.but its better than it.was.

I was surprised because I didnt had leakage on sides, but.only on top of hood where it meet stove pipe.

IMG_20210110_162203.jpg

That works; mine is similar: goes out a hole in the wall and up.  Mine is a 25cm diameter pipe 10' long with no end cap.  I think he wanted to know if there was an endcap or if it went high enough that things near it didn't interfere with the draft. I live in a desert and so not much rain to worry about.

forge.jpg.564ce20f5b47e223f9d17fb8d38c568f.jpg

I have more pipes but I can risk to move chimney up to attic, there is a lot of wood there and are it can make a great fire.

I have materials but I wont risk who know where spark can fly.

This way I still can control sparks because I see my chimney.

I think I will need something as aluminum tape to seal spots where smoke escape.

But that is just at top where hood meet pipe.

Aluminum tape will work, the hood shouldn't get very hot unless you build really large fires. 

I don't blame you for not wanting to run the stove pipe through the attic, I avoid risk with fire anywhere I can. You will need to run your stack above the roof once it's outside the building though. IIRC the number are 3' or 1m above the highest point of the roof within 3m. Don't quote me I may be off on the distances. 

The reason the top of the stove pipe needs to be away from the roof is to prevent turbulence caused by breezes blowing across the roof blowing smock back down the smoke stack. 

Frosty The Lucky.

When wind blows over something like the roof it forms horizontal vortices on the down wind side just like water flowing over a rock or log in a stream. If the top of the stack is in or below the turbulence it will blow the smoke back down the stove pipe. 

This is why stove pipes and chimneys are all higher than the roof. Look around next time you go somewhere it should give you a good idea how high to make yours.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 months later...