I Forge Iron

Diamondback Forges Un-Rigidized?

MRB

Hi,

Just a quick question regarding ceramic blanket/board fibers. Everyone seems to emphasize sealing their forges to prevent loose fibers from drifting in the shop. However, when I look at forges such as Diamondback, it seems as if they just use raw ceramic blanket with nothing over it. I’ve also been told by another smith who I highly respect that there is no need to seal the fibers, as unless you poke or scrape at the blanket, fibers won’t come loose. Seeing his forge operate, I understand this point. Also, MSDS for Inswool/Kaowool never really states a carcinogenic hazard either, listing it more as a potential irritant. I understand that I don’t want to breath in anything extra I don’t have to, but is there really a significant hazard to the unlined ceramic blanket, and does anyone use a Diamondback or similiar forge with the raw wool? 

I only coated the diamondback forge I have with plistix to seal it  since it was fiberboard instead of blanket. There is a small bit of blanket in the door that I coated with plistix also. It seems to be holding up fine so far. 

Pnut

Pnut, and Mr. L.B.,

Is correct.

Mesothelioma and silicosis are horrible diseases to contract,  and most probably die from.

There is a thread concerning such disease caused by particulate contaminants.  I believe it was started by a member, a smith and doctor that specialized in such maladies. Look up chuck wright on the threads on this site, to get a lot of information and grisly pictures of a young smith that unknowingly exposed himself to gas forge flaking materials.*

I am too lazy to repeat the extensive correspondence details, here. Look them up and avoid killing yourself.   (I am not exaggerating.)

Hope that helps,

SLAG.

* I believe that Dr. Wright performed a heart lung transplant on him.