I Forge Iron

Treadmill motor driven grinder.

Paul TIKI

You're probably right, the motor was probably over-spec'd for the job and never really pulled 16A. I guess I'm not used to seeing things overbuilt these days lol. Usually it's the other way around!

That AC speed controller you mentioned won't work. Do you still have the treadmill's original controller circuit board? Even pictures of it would be helpful. I hate to say it but if it's brushless like you said, then it's a paper weight without the original controller. You could get a new motor easily for the cost of replacing that circuit. Even if it isn't working, repairing and/or modifying that board is your best bet.

Building a new controller is possible I think, but you'd be in it for the adventure, not for the economics. If you are keen on doing it yourself, I might be able to help you out with parts or test equipment.

At the jankiest end of possibilities, maybe if you had a golf cart motor controller lying around?? Maybe??? You'd still need the batteries or a big rectifier circuit.

Oh you are so lucky! Your dad must be looking out for you and your electronics endeavors.

If you need a hand on the voltage supply / controller, I'd definitely be game to help out. Way more manageable than a brushless controller!

And just a note to back up what others have already said- 

Having just spent $300 to replace the 2hp AC motor on my 2x72 belt sander... definately look for a sealed one, or a method of... covering protection.

I had a machinist friend build mine for me in partial trade for some sign graphics/work. Had it approximately one month, used for two to four hours pretty consistently when I noticed it arcing badly through the motor ports.

It got worse as I turned it on and off trying to judge what was going on. It sounded, and looked like I was running an arc welder. Motor ran fine... just a pretty blue light... with sound effects.:o

I burned through the windings with hot steel dust that got sucked into the motor. One 1/2" area effected, allowing it to arc to the armature. $300 mistake.

Resized_20200806_180732.jpeg

Resized_20200806_180438.jpeg

Thanks Twigg,  After my initial embarrassment I think it will work out fine for whatever I decide to do with it.  I'm just wondering now what I have on hand for testing the bugger. When we were cleaning out Dad's garage, we found all sorts of stuff, but nobody really knew what it all was.  I kept a few things for oddity value and to remember dad by, like the Marlboro pack (pre surgeon generals warning) that was holding some vacuum tubes, and a neat 5 position switch.  He probably had what I would need, but alas, a lot went to scrap and recycle.  I think my brother kept the popular electronics magazines from the mid 60's.  there was a whole box of them.

Welsh, that looks crispy!  Kind of reminds me of the motor shop I worked at when a motor failed during the quality check.  We had a room we did testing and "run in" that just had rows of power supplies and 10 guage leads.  Hook up the motor, make sure the ground was in place, set the dial according to instructions and flip the switch.  come back a specified time later and send to QA.  If something arced you could smell the ozone in our final asssembly area and we'd go running because you didn't know whose batch of motors was having a problem.

I'm imagining a bunch of motor repairers playing ozone Toucan sam. Follow your nose to the busted motor! :D

If you can get your hands 3ish car batteries, that should let you test the motor at the low end. Just don't let it stall and cook itself.

three guys jump in, look for the magic blue smoke, one guy yells "Found it".  they guy who's motor it was begins a Yosemite Sam tirade of cursing....Yeah, pretty much it..

There is a weird part of my brain that wants to attach a windmill to the front and see what kind of current I could get out of it.  Maybe some LED lights or a USB charger