I Forge Iron

Job as a Blacksmith

The whole key is finding a place where you are in need. I do medieval woodworking tools because there aren't many smiths making them. I also drive a 93 Chevy Blazer S10 that could use LOTS of body work. It is all in what you want out of life. I am happy with my style of existance. Others wouldn't like it at all.
Finnr

That's my deal, too. I make a good living during the week and do my forging on nights and weekends. Some weeks, I work over 70 hours between the two but I thrive on it and there are a few breaks now and again - plus it's nice to have some money in the bank. The company owner knows about my moonlighting and has no objections so long as I don't pursue my personal stuff while on company time. In fact, he's probably happy since I don't ask for raises very often...:-)

I hope to some day but am not going to stress myself out getting there because I don't want it to loose it's appeal, I want to enjoy smithing for the rest of my life and sometimes when you try to make a living doing something you love you can end up loseing that love for it. If you do something to relieve the stress of everyday life, whether it be blacksmithing, woodworking, pottery, hunting/fishing, etc., then the last thing you want to do is start doing it to make your living, atleast if you want to keep doing it to relax.

welder19

One aspect about the "paying" jobs is that you have to have the skills. There are very little in the way of paying blacksmithing jobs for unskilled people new to the craft. Think about it; would you expect to be hired as a weldor not knowing how to weld? No. You might get a job as unskilled labour at minimum wage helping a welder but that's hard to live on.

You must be worth considerably more than you are paid to be worth hiring. Skills you can develop that will help you get hired are things like welding---as many types as possible, machining, drafting---nowdays on computer but being able to freehand draw is a big help---have a portfolio of stuff you have done to show! And job experience to show that you can work in the workplace without problems.

Now an entry level summer job a friend of mine once got was demo smith at an amusement park; Paid minimum wage but he got to forge all day long "practicing" and acting as the draw for their gift store.

I might add to the skills list, being able to fix the welder or tighten the bolts on the machine or oil it or turning off the gas(es) with out being told. When involved in repetitious work, being ready with the tools you know will be needed. That is what makes a hand in my shop.

From what I gather from most businesses it takes 3-4 years to build a reputation if you are aggressive and make a lot of good contacts. Its all about networking and knowing the right people. Everywhere you look there are artists and artisans being paid to make things (some deservedly, but others you're like, what the heck?). So somebody is doing it, its just a matter of getting in the loop.

Some people get in by developing niches, others by being general... its a matter of strategy and what works for you and what market there is or could be developed. Its complicated, in any industry, but motivated people are successful every day.

That has been my experience with my own web design business and my observation of others. For me it was a matter of doing it part-time till I landed a good contract, then I could take the plunge into full time, but there have been a lot of hungry months in-between.