I Forge Iron

Restored my great-great-grandfather's vise

Jobtiel1

It's been some time, but I finally found the time (and need) to finally repair the vise completely.

I used Glenn's suggestion to remove the part of the old bolt that got stuck in the pivot hole:

IMG_20210401_152046.thumb.jpg.ee505d7d3893a5c13242d412fc4af2cd.jpg

with the old bolt completely gone, I didn't have the right size new bolt, but I did have the right size stock, and as JLP suggested, I tried forging a bolt. I do not have thread cutting tools, and thus tried the approach Thomas mention he saw used on old vises, and punched a slit and forged a key to wedge the bolt tight. I do need to re-forge the key so that it fits better and doesn't come loose easily.

IMG_20210401_171509.thumb.jpg.f6fe0edce45cb7fc44b28f2546ef6c25.jpg

And finally, I reinforced the wooden stand so that the vise is now actually usable so I think the restoration is now finally done! I do still need to find some letter punches ;).

IMG_20210401_203602.thumb.jpg.da221c1b4fe6c86acb7e3f4994b74148.jpg

P.S. for now I won't straighten the handle, if I feel it gets in the way I might, but I kind of like that I'm going to use the vise in roughly the same state it was last used.

Irondragon, the key hole is not in completely the right place, and the bolt would wiggle without the washer. But now critically looking at the bolt I'm forging a new one, should be better now that I know what to look out for when forging bolts.

I'll update after I have some forging time again.

• 1 year later...

I just found this thread back looking for some info on good vise stands. Fun fact, I still haven't forged a new bolt for the thing. I heard people say there is nothing more permanent than a temporary solution.

~Jobtiel